cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just wondering what experience people have had with O2 and roaming.

Especially those with the new countries included like USA.

Was really wondering what speeds were like to use, but also any info on the allowance of data when abroad?

From looking around it looks unlimited, but can't see how they can offer unlimited roaming abroad .

Cheers
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
In the EU you can use your UK allowances fully without any restrictions.
Outside of the EU in o2 travel destinations you get unlimited throttled data and 120 mins of calls and texts.
Throttled data speeds are around 0.5 Mbps so only suitable for email and messaging services really.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/EU-Roaming-Changes-from-15th-June-2017-CONTRACT-ONLY-quo...

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/O2-Contract-with-O2-Travel-Inclusive-75-Free-Countries-a...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
In the EU you can use your UK allowances fully without any restrictions.
Outside of the EU in o2 travel destinations you get unlimited throttled data and 120 mins of calls and texts.
Throttled data speeds are around 0.5 Mbps so only suitable for email and messaging services really.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/EU-Roaming-Changes-from-15th-June-2017-CONTRACT-ONLY-quo...

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/O2-Contract-with-O2-Travel-Inclusive-75-Free-Countries-a...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Just wondering what experience people have had with O2 and roaming.

@Anonymous

There are also different charges for people travelling to countries outside the EU

These can be found here

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

The other advice we always give, is to make sure voicemail is turned off before you travel, particularly if travelling outside the EU.

Dependent on what country you travel to and if on international rates, you could be charged for receiving the voicemail and again for listening to it. Turn it off by dialling 1760.(back on 1750)

Finally, it's always best to use Wifi wherever you are. You can keep in touch with family and friends using Messenger, Whatsapp and Skype if you make sure they have those apps as well.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Wave 

@MI5 and @Cleoriff shared a lot of detailed info on roaming above, which should definitely help! I hope this will answer your questions, but please do let us know if you still need some clarifications slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

cheers everyone for the comments.

Still a little confused about the non EU roaming, is there a speed cap and is there an allowance cap?

Saw somewhere 150MB a day, but then later on saw that the cap was removed.

Cheers slight_smile

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
No restrictions in amount of data just speed restrictions as I mentioned in my first reply above.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

ActonDave
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
0.5mbs roaming speed in USA
TOTAL JOKE!
Message 7 of 9

SvenH
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 Samsung Note9 Pay Monthly has very good roaming in many parts of North America. But disappointingly, O2 Samsung Tab S4 Pay Monthly has extremely poor to no roaming. O2 Support said they specifically do not to allow roaming in the US for tablets. Hard and expensive lesson: Don't buy tablets at O2 if you want to data roam outside of UK and Europe!

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Data only sims don't work anywhere outside of the UK.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9