Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium numbers

Hazelleng1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
  • Just received a text from 66299. I have not used this service and don’t understand why I am being charged. Can anyone tell me how to stop it. Tried looking on 02 but can’t find anything that helps other than send STOP, I did this and of course I am being charged for it.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@Hazelleng1 

Guide: Have you fallen for or been conned into a premium rate scam? What to do next 

and www.payforitsucks.co.uk

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Hazelleng1 wrote:
  • Just received a text from 66299. I have not used this service and don’t understand why I am being charged. Can anyone tell me how to stop it. Tried looking on 02 but can’t find anything that helps other than send STOP, I did this and of course I am being charged for it.

You don't say which "service" this is. There are several using the 66299 shortcode. 

The company responsible or the 66299 shortcode is

Oxygen8 Communications Limited,
12th Floor, Lyndon House,
58 – 62 Hagley Road,
Birmingham,
B16 8PE,

Email: customercare.uk@oxygen8.com Tel: 0808 206 0808

You should complain to them and to the regulator: https://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/report-an-issue

Since May 2019, O2 have required two factor PIN authorisation for these subscription services, making it almost impossible to "accidentally" subscribe to them. In November 2019 the regulator (the Phone-paid Services Authority) amended its rules to also require this two factor authorisation. 

Unless your "service provider" can show proof that this process was followed, you are entitled to a FULL refund.

I had hoped that we had seen the last of these scams, but it has become clear tht the two-factor authorisation is being circumvented by rogue operators. We have proof in one such case that this was done.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/My-O2/premium-number-87070/m-p/1317127

It is time that O2 stopped these fraudsters accessing their customers accounts.

Until O2 take some responsibility for Payforit fraud the best approach is to ask for a "charge to mobile" bar on your account which will prevent this fraud.

Make sure that you NEVER charge "third party" services to your phone bill. You network is not an FCA approved payment processor. If things go wrong, or you are the victim of fraud, neither they nor the regulator will help!

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 4 of 4