cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online phone purchase - a few questions.

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I 'think' I'm about to purchase am O2 PAYG smart phone online. I've a couple of questions, perhaps someone can answer.

1/ I may want to use the phone with my current O2 SIM only Pay Monthly account. Any issues doing this?

2/ If I do question one then after some calls I should be able to ask O2 for an unlock code? (I've done this previously)

3/ I may give it to a family member who has an O2 PAYG SIM (Has had it for 14+ years) Any issues doing this?

4/ If in the hopefully unlikely case the phone has some warranty issues would I be able to deal with an O2 store rather than posting it back and forward?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tullyhubbert wrote:

I 'think' I'm about to purchase am O2 PAYG smart phone online. I've a couple of questions, perhaps someone can answer.

1/ I may want to use the phone with my current O2 SIM only Pay Monthly account. Any issues doing this?

Pay and go sim cards are latched to the network not the sim, so you can use any O2 sim cards in it

2/ If I do question one then after some calls I should be able to ask O2 for an unlock code? (I've done this previously)

Like it was mention, pay and go phones cannot be unlocked for the first 12 months, and there's a £15 charge for the code

3/ I may give it to a family member who has an O2 PAYG SIM (Has had it for 14+ years) Any issues doing this?

No issues whatsoever

4/ If in the hopefully unlikely case the phone has some warranty issues would I be able to deal with an O2 store rather than posting it back and forward?

Yes you are more than welcome to take it to an O2 store and they will send it to the repair center

Thanks.

Hope this helps!:smileyhappy:

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Any O2 SIM card will work in it wether in payg or contract.

Be aware some have experienced delays by ordering inline so perhaps look at an O2 HighStreet or perhaps carphone warehouse.

Payg phones have to be in the network for 12 months excluding the iPhone. Not the iPhone 6 or 6+ yet tho.

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network
Message 2 of 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi

I am currently using my new phone with my contract sim (which is nearly 2 years old)

I gave my 'old phone' S3 to my son who is on O2 Payg. it worked with no problem with his sim...

Those are the two parts of the 4 questions I can answer with confidence

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry : to add.

O2 have repair centres they send their phones off to but we suggest using the manufacturer as a first port of call for repairs under warranty.

A useful guide http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
Message 4 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No problem with anything you have suggested, at all.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tullyhubbert wrote:

Pay and go sim cards are latched to the network not the sim, so you can use any O2 sim cards in it

Like it was mention, pay and go phones cannot be unlocked for the first 12 months, and there's a £15 charge for the code

No issues whatsoever

Yes you are more than welcome to take it to an O2 store and they will send it to the repair center

Thanks.

Hope this helps!:smileyhappy:

Message 6 of 18

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I always thought that there are problems using a Pay Monthly sim in a Pay & Go phone. Aren't the settings different?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 18

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Payg phones have to be in the network for 12 months excluding the iPhone. Not the iPhone 6 or 6+ yet tho.

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network

Thanks bob

Sorry for appearing (And being) a bit slow to understand.

If you remember this thread a few days ago http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices-Nokia-Blackberry/Lumia-1020-availability/td-p/824807 I've just discovered the 1020 is available in yellow (Black is/was out of stock)

@Anonymous I buy it @ £170 on PAYG and use it with my Pay Monthly SIM only contract are you saying it'll be 12 months before I can unlock it? Or are you saying that if its used with an O2 PAYG SIM it'll be 12 months before I could unlock it.

I had hoped if it was used with my Pay Monthly SIM I'd be able to unlock it after I'd made a few calls, same as I did with the 925 I bought of Gumtree (No idea of the phones Monthly/PAYG history though)

Thanks

Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Apparently O2 know from the imei number if it's obtained in Payg or contract and act accordingly to unlock.

Although I've had friends who have purchased a Payg o2 phone, inserted their contract sim and made calls to latch it and then request the unlock.
Message 9 of 18

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

While I was typing a reply to bob there have been more replies, thanks for advice everyone.

If someone could state definatively whether I can or can't unlock a PAYG supplied phone with my Pay Monthly SIM I'd appreciate it.

The reason the above is important is that for 2 weeks in June myself and the other potential user are in the IOM for the TT races and use Manx SIMs while there.

Thanks

Message 10 of 18