Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Odd situation - do O2 want to keep customers?!

Hello,

I am in a slightly odd situation with O2..

I have got 5 months left of my "O2 100" (£25/month) contract. At the moment I'm using an LG phone, but I want to switch to using a sim-free BlackBerry phone that I have.

My first thought was to get a BlackBerry bolt-on added to my current tariff, but apparently that's not possible because my tariff is "old" and can't have bolt-ons added(?!)

My next thought was, OK I'll pay £125 (£25 x 5) to buy myself out of my current tariff, and then get O2 to switch me to one of their BlackBerry Simplicity plans. Apparently this is not possible either: I can buy out the rest of my contract and leave O2 entirely, but unless I want to get an iPhone it is not possible to buy out of my contract AND switch to a different tariff with O2, unless I start again from scratch as if I was a first-time customer.

This strikes me as odd.. you would think O2 would want to retain customers. Either way I have to pay for the rest of my contract, but if they won't let me make an easy switch straight on to another O2 contract, obviously I will consider tariffs from all the other networks once I have paid off O2, and there is only a small chance I would choose O2 again.

Anyone else have any experience of anything like this? Any way to get around it? I would prefer to stay with O2 (that is stay with them, not have to cancel and then re-join), because it is a bother taking out a new contract, having to get the number transferred etc., but O2 don't seem to be interested. Thanks
Highlighted
Anonymous

You commit to a minimum term. If you don't honor that commitment, there is less incentive for any company to want to do further business with you.
I believe all the networks do this. (For some high spend customers, Orange will allow you to change your handset early but your contract would be extended by a further 18, 24 or 36 months. (with no early upgrade allowed).
Highlighted
Anonymous

The agreement doesn't say 'you must stay for 12 months' it says 'if you leave before 12 months you have to pay for the remaining months', and that is what I am going to do. So I am still honouring the committment made to O2.

Either way I pay off O2, but then on one way I would stay with them (and spend more with them in the future) and on the other I would most likely switch to another network, meaning they get no further custom from me at all. I don't think 'breaking the agreement' is an obvious reason, because I haven't broken any agreement. Would they rather watch a customer walk away forever, or sign up to another 12 months? I hardly think that ending early (which is a perfectly legit thing to do as far as the agreement is concerned) and paying up in full is reason to want never to see a customer again.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I guess it does make sense if they can only have a certain fixed number of customers at any point (??)

So if I say I'm switching from contract to PAYG (and pay up to end the contract) and then switch back to contract from PAYG, would that let me keep all my O2 account details etc. the same, and could I keep my number without having to get PAC codes etc. ?

EDIT: finally spoke to somebody good, who has sorted me out Smiley Very Happy . The reason the plan I thought of couldn't work is, I think, just because of a technicality. If I'd had somebody good the first time I rang up, I wouldn't even have needed to think of it. Oh well, all sorted now.
Highlighted
Anonymous

It does seem a bit silly that if somebody wants to buy out their contract and stay with O2 by signing up to a new contract that it cannot be done yet they can go to another network doing the same. There is no reason economically to not keep a customer when they are happy to pay up their term and stay with another contract. If it is the system then that is a poor over sight.
Highlighted
Anonymous

It does seem a bit silly that if somebody wants to buy out their contract and stay with O2 by signing up to a new contract that it cannot be done yet they can go to another network doing the same. There is no reason economically to not keep a customer when they are happy to pay up their term and stay with another contract. If it is the system then that is a poor over sight.

I agree. This is a nonsense that alienates customers but keeps Apple happy, which is very important. :womanindifferent:

Whether he pays in one lump or in instalments is purely semantics. There is definitely something to be said for buying a handset SIM free and buying into a monthly Simplicity tariff.

I don't know any other agreement that I have ever entered that is as inflexible as a mobile contract. Even mortgages these days have grown up, it's high time mobile phone networks moved with the time.

I am defintiely going to lay out for the handsets now, no more 18/24 months nonsense.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I think it's more to do with a network hoping that during the time that a customer is still in contract then they will go over their allowance, also statistically people will still stay with the network once their upgrade date comes along anyway. So there is method in the madness, but I agree, if someone wants to upgrade early and is willing to pay for the privileged then fair play.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I think it's more to do with a network hoping that during the time that a customer is still in contract then they will go over their allowance, also statistically people will still stay with the network once their upgrade date comes along anyway. So there is method in the madness, but I agree, if someone wants to upgrade early and is willing to pay for the privileged then fair play.

Evening wife!

I had considered that, but there is a real obvious flaw in their plan. They could easily take the cash up front and because the customer hasn't left them, there is still the chance of additional charges on the new tariff. As it is now, the customer takes an iPhone or leaves. Madness!

People get paid a lot more money than you to make this c*** up! Smiley Very Happy

I wasn't sure if they preferred the regular income. Regular dependable income makes the company creditworthy.

Whatever the reason, it is not customer friendly.

Anyway, I have not been on much, hope you haven't been talking to other men? Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Anonymous

Evening wife!
I had considered that, but there is a real obvious flaw in their plan. They could easily take the cash up front and because the customer hasn't left them, there is still the chance of additional charges on the new tariff. As it is now, the customer takes an iPhone or leaves. Madness!
People get paid a lot more money than you to make this c*** up! Smiley Very Happy
I wasn't sure if they preferred the regular income. Regular dependable income makes the company creditworthy.
Anyway, I have not been on much, hope you haven't been talking to other men? Smiley Wink

Of course not! Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

Evening wife!

Of course not! Smiley Very Happy

I have just been moderated for being "Vulgar".... and spotted my offence.

Hilarious! I said the "c" word...... you know, the word for poo! A slip of my tongue...... I will stop there! Smiley Wink