Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 won't unlock my device

unlockdevice
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I have been on a contract with O2 for over 6 months (I have 2 leased lines and two 24 month phone contracts). I have successively been trying to request my device be unlocked, as my wife is working abroad and needs to use the device whilst away. I have not requested the line to be cancelled nor the phone, just that it is unlocked so we can used a foreign SIM card on it for the following months. However, I have found this to be the most stressing experience. I keep being told to wait for 5 working days, and never get a response from O2 nor does anything ever gets sorted out. I am at the point where I just want to cancel the line and return the phone or go to Ofcom to take action against the operator, as I'm being charged for a phone and a line without being able to use neither. 

O2, please restablish a trust relationship where I will believe that the company is not just fooling me around. 

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @unlockdevice

Follow the advice in this link https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

If you have no joy with that then probably best advice is to put in a complaint

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 144190 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions

@unlockdevice 

Please follow our guide here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @unlockdevice, and welcome to the forum! 

Did you get a chance to look at the guide @Cleoriff and @MI5 linked to above? Please let us know if this helps you get this sorted, or if you need further advice slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 10

unlockdevice
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there, 

I have seen the post. I had already tried the procedure as per described in their post. My first attempt at unlocking the device, however, was with an attendent at the same O2 shop I purchased the phone from. I was initially sent a code, which did not work. Since then, I have requested another code by filling in the manual form and contacted O2 via 202 several times but nothing has ever been done to solve my problem. So I'm still left with a leased line contract, a phone and no use for either of them, unfortunetely. 

Still waiting for O2 to come up with a solution for the problem. 

Thank you kindly for your help. 

Regards, 

Klaysner 

Message 5 of 10

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @unlockdevice, sorry to read you're still stuck - I sent you a PM (Private Message on the forum) to get some more details and see if we can help speed things up on our end slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 10

KatieTilly
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I called o2 1 week ago to unlock my phone, they put in the request then as soon as I came off the phone emailed me to state they could not unlock as not an o2 handset (it is!) I called back to dispute, they agreed I was correct and could not understand why I had been sent that email. 1 week later, 5 phone calls and lots of time wasted being on hold...Still not been unlocked. I have no update other than it's been 'escalated' I have somebody waiting to purchase my phone.
Message 7 of 10

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

MI5
  • 144190 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions

@KatieTilly 

Have you checked the advice in the help thread, particularly with trying another sim as it may already be unlocked?

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 10

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @KatieTilly , which phone model do you have? If you're still struggling with it after checking the above tip from @MI5 & @jonsie , I'd be happy to get someone on our end to have a look to see what's going on. Please do let us know and if you still need help, I'll drop you a private message here on the forum to get a few additional details so we can get it looked at. 

Cheers for the tag @jonsie  and the additional tip @MI5 !

Message 10 of 10