Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 use in France

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I'm am O2 Monthly customer.

I'm preparing for a trip to France in a few weeks time and whilstI#'m there I'll need to keep accessible and in contact with about a dozen UK numbers who will be in France at the same time.

Although I've got the O2 Travel bundle I'm still debating just taking an old functional phone, as i won't be data roaming. The problem I have with this is it's an old style sim card rather that the micro sim in my current phone

Is there any possibility of getting a normal size sim on the same number temporarily?

My other option would be to get a pay as you go sim and divert my current number to that - though I'm ont sure how this would work with O2 Travel etc... 

Can anyone advise?

Grateful for any other suggestions/insight on this.

Thank you

Chris 

Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Just pop into your local O2 store and ask for a sim adaptor. It's a much simpler option and will allow you to use the current sim in the phone of your choice.

They are free instore as you are an O2 customer.

Have a great time in France:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Just pop into your local O2 store and ask for a sim adaptor. It's a much simpler option and will allow you to use the current sim in the phone of your choice.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 22

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

I'm am O2 Monthly customer.

I'm preparing for a trip to France in a few weeks time and whilstI#'m there I'll need to keep accessible and in contact with about a dozen UK numbers who will be in France at the same time.

Although I've got the O2 Travel bundle I'm still debating just taking an old functional phone, as i won't be data roaming. The problem I have with this is it's an old style sim card rather that the micro sim in my current phone

Is there any possibility of getting a normal size sim on the same number temporarily?

My other option would be to get a pay as you go sim and divert my current number to that - though I'm ont sure how this would work with O2 Travel etc... 

Can anyone advise?

Grateful for any other suggestions/insight on this.

Thank you

Chris 

As Telephone_user said, there's a fair chance you can get your microsim working in a standard size sim card slot.

Or, you could buy one of them micro-to-standard sim adapters on eBay.

Or, you could buy a whatever sim card from a supermarket or corner shop, as they normally are "two sizes in one", which means that you could push the microsim out, leaving just a standard-sized shell, like this:

download.jpg

Then carefully place your O2 microsim in that shell it and insert it into your phone.

Or, maybe just taking your current O2 phone with you and switching the data roaming option in its settings before you leave the UK, would be an option, too?

Mind you, that if you've got the O2 Travel bolt-on, you would be charged a minimum 50p per call, either made or received. It's a 50p charge, then it's free to talk for an hour, however if you're going to be making/receiving series of short calls, it might be better opting out of O2 Travel before you leave for France (call O2 Customer Services for that) and opting back in once you back in the UK. That way you'll be paying just standard EU roaming rates.

Message 3 of 22

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Anonymous 

I've just posted my reply and then noticed your post as well slight_smile I didn't know that O2 gives out free sim adaptors for its customers. Good to know.

Message 4 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@cyrillicguy wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Anonymous 

I've just posted my reply and then noticed your post as well slight_smile I didn't know that O2 gives out free sim adaptors for its customers. Good to know.

And they are free @cyrillicguy  They usually have a drawer full

Also this method will ensure the OP's current sim will work ..rather than actually trying to adapt the sim without it...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 22

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@cyrillicguy wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Anonymous 

And they are free @cyrillicguy  They usually have a drawer full

Also this method will ensure the OP's current sim will work ..rather than actually trying to adapt the sim without it...:smileywink:

Agree slight_smile 

Message 6 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I would never try to fit a sim into a phone where the sim is not the correct size. It is likely to cause issues and you may end up damaging the pins and thus your phone. This may even end up detracting your focus from your time in France

Would recommend you go to your local o2 store and pick up a free adapter or if your local store is a distance away order one online from o2 then you know you are getting the right kit. If you phone o2 customer services they might even send you one for free given that sims are free.

Message 7 of 22

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can do this and make as many calls as you like for £15.
The trick is to get a Three 3,2,1 PAYG sim and top up with £15. Once topped up buy the unlimited data bolt on which gives you 300 minutes, 3,000 texts and all-you-can-eat data (for 30 days).
You can use this allowance in France too, so you just need to divert your UK number to this sim so your contacts will still call your UK number and the only difference they will see is the Three number when you call or text them.
Overall this is a cheaper option for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 22

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
You can do this and make as many calls as you like for £15.
The trick is to get a Three 3,2,1 PAYG sim and top up with £15. Once topped up buy the unlimited data bolt on which gives you 300 minutes, 3,000 texts and all-you-can-eat data (for 30 days).
You can use this allowance in France too, so you just need to divert your UK number to this sim so your contacts will still call your UK number and the only difference they will see is the Three number when you call or text them.
Overall this is a cheaper option for you.

Feel At Home! But of course! In terms of cost it's absolutely unbeateable, the only thing to keep in mind is that the handsed the OP is planning to use in France (he has mentioned some old phone in his post) is a 3G compartible one, otherwise his Three sim might simply refuse to work in it.

Message 9 of 22

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
and unlocked to all networks, of course.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 22