Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 use in France

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I'm am O2 Monthly customer.

I'm preparing for a trip to France in a few weeks time and whilstI#'m there I'll need to keep accessible and in contact with about a dozen UK numbers who will be in France at the same time.

Although I've got the O2 Travel bundle I'm still debating just taking an old functional phone, as i won't be data roaming. The problem I have with this is it's an old style sim card rather that the micro sim in my current phone

Is there any possibility of getting a normal size sim on the same number temporarily?

My other option would be to get a pay as you go sim and divert my current number to that - though I'm ont sure how this would work with O2 Travel etc... 

Can anyone advise?

Grateful for any other suggestions/insight on this.

Thank you

Chris 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
You can do this and make as many calls as you like for £15.
The trick is to get a Three 3,2,1 PAYG sim and top up with £15. Once topped up buy the unlimited data bolt on which gives you 300 minutes, 3,000 texts and all-you-can-eat data (for 30 days).
You can use this allowance in France too, so you just need to divert your UK number to this sim so your contacts will still call your UK number and the only difference they will see is the Three number when you call or text them.
Overall this is a cheaper option for you.

The unlimited data is capped at 25 Gb when used in Europe, and also cannot be used for tethering.  Also, texts will not be forwarded from your O2 number, only calls.

But if that is not an issue, it's a good solution.

Message 11 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Correction to the above post. 25 MB and not gb
Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally I would never try to fit a sim into a phone where the sim is not the correct size. It is likely to cause issues and you may end up damaging the pins and thus your phone.

Please provide a reference to somebody damaging their phone or sim in this way, as you admit that you have no personal experience of this.

It's very common practice in the area of Brasil I stay in, where sim adaptors are not freely available, and I have never seen or heard of a single damaged phone or sim.

Looking at the standard layout of connections on a sim card I can't even see a way that wrong insertion would cause damage.

Message 13 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@cyrillicguy wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
The trick is to get a Three 3,2,1 PAYG sim and top up with £15. Once topped up buy the unlimited data bolt on which gives you 300 minutes, 3,000 texts and all-you-can-eat data (for 30 days).
You can use this allowance in France too, so you just need to divert your UK number to this sim so your contacts will still call your UK number and the only difference they will see is the Three number when you call or text them.

Feel At Home! But of course! In terms of cost it's absolutely unbeateable, the only thing to keep in mind is that the handsed the OP is planning to use in France (he has mentioned some old phone in his post) is a 3G compartible one, otherwise his Three sim might simply refuse to work in it.

If the 3G sim from Three isn't the right size the OP could use the sim adapter provided by O2. A sim from Three should be backwards compatible for a 3G phone.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

@cyrillicguy wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Feel At Home! But of course! In terms of cost it's absolutely unbeateable, the only thing to keep in mind is that the handsed the OP is planning to use in France (he has mentioned some old phone in his post) is a 3G compartible one, otherwise his Three sim might simply refuse to work in it.

If the 3G sim from Three isn't the right size the OP could use the sim adapter provided by O2. A sim from Three should be backwards compatible for a 3G phone.

I think what he is saying is that the old handset might not be 3G, or might be incompatible with the frequencies used by three and their partner networks in France.  I don't think the issue is with the physical sim size, as all new three sims are universal pop out types anyway, so you get whatever you want.

Message 15 of 22

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

@cyrillicguy wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

I think what he is saying is that the old handset might not be 3G, or might be incompatible with the frequencies used by three and their partner networks in France.  

Correct slight_smile

Message 16 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

As the OP never specified whether the old phone was 3G compatible or not, any reference to the phone itself is conjecture. I didn't see anything wrong in covering all the bases in my comment. The OP should now have all the options.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 17 of 22

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

As the OP never specified whether the old phone was 3G compatible or not, any reference to the phone itself is conjecture. I didn't see anything wrong in covering all the bases in my comment. The OP should now have all the options.

That's what I've done as well, trying to cover all the bases (or as many of them as I could think of at that time) for the OP. Didn't know whether or not his phone would be a 3G compartible one, but wanted him to avoid any possible pitfalls in case that phone was an old 2G-only one. slight_smile

Message 18 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There are also ways to forward text messages if that is important too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 22

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
There are also ways to forward text messages if that is important too.

Any tips on that one, MI5? There're only two ways of forwarding incoming texts that I know: 1) Has to be supported by a network provider, and as far as I'm aware O2 does not support that. 2) Via an app, but in this case the device which receives and forwards texts has got to stay turned on.

If there's another trick to that, it would be interesting to know. Some sort of TuGO+IFTT combo perhaps? (just a random guess really...:) )

Message 20 of 22