cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 european Travel

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used this service a couple of years ago.  The service says Unlimited Data but speed may vary with usage.   This was in Greece roaming on OTE (Cosmote)

I found that after a short time the speed changed to a crawl - and that was it for the day.  I thought it was just Greece - the country was in a state of collapse.  But other users on the next door boat had a full speed signla on 3G much better than you get in the UK.

I got a very wishy washy anwer from O2 saying that daily usage was capped at 100MB.  According to my phone logs, I never got anthything near that.

Is this a common problem? Daily connectivity is essential for Marine forecast email etc.  Or would I be better off buying a Cosmote Data Sim.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Buy a local sim without doubt.
O2 travel data is completely useless!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

In Turkey I use a local Turkcel sim (data only) 15GB cost 80TL (£10).  I make all my calls using the mifi hotspot from it using TUGO.   

I was thinking of buying an O2 data sim and using it in the same way to cover Greece Croatia and Italy.  The price looks OK and I really dont  use very much.  But I cannot get a straight answer out of O2 as to when they throttle you back (it was unusable in Greece as if Os was treated as a second class supplier by Cosmote).   

Looking at Cosmotes website, either I dont understand it or they are very very expensive!

Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
100Mb on contracts is supposed to be the slow down point (50Mb on PAYG) but real life experience tells us different.
As I said, it's pretty much unusable except for downloading email headers.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Local sim is always the way to go. I have one here and get 10GB for around £6 depends on the exchange rate. Compare that to an unusable £4.99 a day or £6/MB. No brainer ! 

Message 6 of 6