cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund for overpayments ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an original experia Z, which came on a 24 month contract in march 2013. Now im not into upgrades or the latest things, and just keep a phone until its worn out, and as such , rightly or wrongly i dont pay attention to my monthly payments either.

My issue being that its been pointed out to me that my contract expired in march 2015, so the handset was payed for by that time, yet since that point ( which is some 20 months this month ) i have continued to be charged the full contract amount of £28+vat per month for the umlimited calls/text and 1gb data service, which ive had to use data buy ons when it regularly runs out mid month.

I am not into the technical aspect of phones, so was unaware until a friend explained to me this week that ive basically been hugely overcharged for my service since my contract expired and have never been notified by o2 that this was the case.

Suggestions ? 

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous If you dont cancel your contract officially it will continue as a 30 day rolling contract

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/highlight/true#M56526

You could ring customer services and see if they will refund you http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous If you dont cancel your contract officially it will continue as a 30 day rolling contract

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/highlight/true#M56526

You could ring customer services and see if they will refund you http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. I realise that people will just say its my fault for not being on top of it, but i dont think thats fair, as surely when your contract is up, the cost of the handset that was part of the monthly bill should have been automatically removed ?

I will call customer services. I tried the online chat but its constantly saying busy.

thanks

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144293 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I'm afraid it's up to you to either upgrade or switch to sim only.
O2 won't chase you although I am surprised you haven't been called about upgrading.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok thanks both for your info, much appreciated

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144293 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
The new refresh contracts work the way you suggest now.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10157 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3007 Solutions

I cant belive no one has mentioned it but the old contracts (pre refresh) didnt have a phone component as part of the monthly line rental, so not sure what discount the OP sees to think he is due. 

It used to be that mobiles where heavily subsidised to the reseller and the reseller was given a nice commission cheque to cover the cost of the device and give somat to the sales person... oh how things have changed. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Yes everyone has presumed it's a Refresh contract but if it's the old style contract ie. a single direct debit then the monthly payment would not be reduced therefore no overpayment and no refund due. Perhaps the OP can come back and confirm?

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144293 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I didn't presume that tbh......

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9