cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 WiFi Hotspot Help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I wondered if any of the guys on here could help me as so far o2 have failed.

I got the Nexus 5 on contract the day it came out and am unable to connect to any of o2 hotspots. I downloaded the o2 WiFi app first which asked me for the sms confirmation and all went fine. When I tried to use my phone at a hotspot it logs on to the WiFi connection straight away and pops up with a notification for me to sign in. Clicking on this brings up the Chrome browser which loads the WiFi home page instantly. It displays at the top Welcome back and my name so obviously knows who I am. I can navigate around the "local" site but can not use the internet. 

I have tried various apps after being connected such as Facebook, Chrome and a speedtest app which all state that there is no internet. At a local MacDonalds I used the app Fing to scan the network and sure enough I am on the network with 3 cisco routers and various phones etc. Still I have no internet access but am connected to the network.

On the o2 side my device is shown as registered in my account and in the WiFi section, so far the customer services have just repeatidly told me to go to the hotspot and select "login to my o2" which everytime returns an ssl error.

The hotspots all work fine with my old phone but am a bit stuck why I can connect but am probably not being given dns for some reason.

Thanks

Message 1 of 36
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yay it works!!! I went out to the shop and thought I would fly by MacDonald's to see if the 3rd party company had done anything yet.
As soon as I tried to sign in the login page stated that it was sending an SMS to my phone. I didn't even have to state my phone number.
After getting the code I had to create an account with email and birthday etc as i had done previously but it actually worked.
Presume they had done some sort of auto login with my Mac address for this to send and SMS straight away.
Anyway I'm eventually up and running so that's good.

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I had the same problem a while back when changing phones, my old phone was still registered so I had to reset my connection with O2 https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=29&q1=26
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have given it a go but won't be able to test until later today.

I also had the same problem when I got a new number with o2 but they sorted it over the phone. Funnily though my last phone I ported the number to the three network and o2 left it registered with all the hotspots. Wasn't complaining of course.
Message 3 of 36

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
 Funnily though my last phone I ported the number to the three network and o2 left it registered with all the hotspots. Wasn't complaining of course.

You didn't get away with anything, O2 Wi-Fi is free for anyone to use! Smiley LOL

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know it is free now but thought when they first set it up it was only for o2 customers??
Message 5 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried another hotspot today after doing what you suggested and sadly no it appears to be the same.

One slight thing I have done though is after returning home I still had a MacDonald's WiFi login page displayed so clicked on login using my home WiFi and it opened the page. It asked me to register with a phone number again and sent an SMS confirmation so will need to try again.
At the hotspot the login link had returned an SSL error the same as before.

The page obviously works just not for me on a hotspot and it has always said welcome back and my name so knows who I am etc.
Message 6 of 36

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
If you login to the o2 wifi site from a pc https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/my how many devices are listed ?

O2 wifi has been free to all since launch
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

As suggested by AdamTemp check the number of devices registered to the o2 wifi account, you can have a max of 5 devices linked to a mobile number. You can de-register a device via the app itself by going to "My Account" - "My Device List".

Message 8 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just have the one devices added which is my new Nexus 5.

Message 9 of 36

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
ok have you tried deleting it and starting again from scratch again?
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 10 of 36