cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 WiFi Hotspot Help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I wondered if any of the guys on here could help me as so far o2 have failed.

I got the Nexus 5 on contract the day it came out and am unable to connect to any of o2 hotspots. I downloaded the o2 WiFi app first which asked me for the sms confirmation and all went fine. When I tried to use my phone at a hotspot it logs on to the WiFi connection straight away and pops up with a notification for me to sign in. Clicking on this brings up the Chrome browser which loads the WiFi home page instantly. It displays at the top Welcome back and my name so obviously knows who I am. I can navigate around the "local" site but can not use the internet. 

I have tried various apps after being connected such as Facebook, Chrome and a speedtest app which all state that there is no internet. At a local MacDonalds I used the app Fing to scan the network and sure enough I am on the network with 3 cisco routers and various phones etc. Still I have no internet access but am connected to the network.

On the o2 side my device is shown as registered in my account and in the WiFi section, so far the customer services have just repeatidly told me to go to the hotspot and select "login to my o2" which everytime returns an ssl error.

The hotspots all work fine with my old phone but am a bit stuck why I can connect but am probably not being given dns for some reason.

Thanks

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
I do vaguely remember an old issue with public wifi when the N7 first came out.... I'll see if I can find anything...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 36

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Have a read through this thread

Also some info here

and finally check your firmware as an update to fix wifi has been released KRT16S

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 22 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like the Nexus 5 has a few wifi issues. I havent yet had it drop off any networks and have never been able to use an o2 hotspot. I dont think clearing cache will help as I have also tried firefox and various apps but will try to make double sure.

I noticed when attempting to send a text to 2121 WIFI I just get a "message can not be sent" reply. Not sure if this is a problem?

The firmware update is not available on the nexus 5 yet I believe and only for other Nexus devices.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will try taking it to a an o2 shop. Maybe than can atleast contact somebody from a real technical department after seeing it first hand. 

Thanks for your help so far.

Message 23 of 36

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Keep us updated....

Currently using:
Message 24 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I didn't get a chance to go to an o2 store today but after I completely deleted my account on o2wifi I did try a hotspot by a local asda.
This time when I try to login I get a page displaying a message "something went wrong" and an incident number. I phoned o2 on 202 thinking this may give them lots of info and be able to fix it but sadly not.

I did spend about an hour on the phone with them trying different things. The furthest I could get was when they completely removed my account their end and I managed to enter my phone number and then be rejected.

They have given me a reference number and accepted that it doesn't work. It appears they only have limited tools to diagnose anything and was told all the hotspots are sub contracted out (probably all the BT ones o2 are about to lose) and somebody will be in contact with me but they aren't sure when.
Message 25 of 36

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
They have given me a reference number and accepted that it doesn't work. It appears they only have limited tools to diagnose anything and was told all the hotspots are sub contracted out (probably all the BT ones o2 are about to lose) and somebody will be in contact with me but they aren't sure when.

You can use all the hotspots listed here:

https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/hotspots

The 4000 BT Openzone hotspots earlier used by O2 customers were gone in July 2013 and have been replaced by 8000 O2 ones.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 26 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yay it works!!! I went out to the shop and thought I would fly by MacDonald's to see if the 3rd party company had done anything yet.
As soon as I tried to sign in the login page stated that it was sending an SMS to my phone. I didn't even have to state my phone number.
After getting the code I had to create an account with email and birthday etc as i had done previously but it actually worked.
Presume they had done some sort of auto login with my Mac address for this to send and SMS straight away.
Anyway I'm eventually up and running so that's good.
Message 27 of 36

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Good to hear it's fixed.....

Currently using:
Message 28 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
From what I have read o2 has lost around 4 to 5 million BT hotspots not just 4000. I happen to have broadband with BT so can connect anyway. O2 will hopefully build it up again. Just need them in the major places and make sure your always within a few miles of one.
Message 29 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. At least it wasn't me going crazy and it was their end.
Message 30 of 36