cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 WiFi Hotspot Help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I wondered if any of the guys on here could help me as so far o2 have failed.

I got the Nexus 5 on contract the day it came out and am unable to connect to any of o2 hotspots. I downloaded the o2 WiFi app first which asked me for the sms confirmation and all went fine. When I tried to use my phone at a hotspot it logs on to the WiFi connection straight away and pops up with a notification for me to sign in. Clicking on this brings up the Chrome browser which loads the WiFi home page instantly. It displays at the top Welcome back and my name so obviously knows who I am. I can navigate around the "local" site but can not use the internet. 

I have tried various apps after being connected such as Facebook, Chrome and a speedtest app which all state that there is no internet. At a local MacDonalds I used the app Fing to scan the network and sure enough I am on the network with 3 cisco routers and various phones etc. Still I have no internet access but am connected to the network.

On the o2 side my device is shown as registered in my account and in the WiFi section, so far the customer services have just repeatidly told me to go to the hotspot and select "login to my o2" which everytime returns an ssl error.

The hotspots all work fine with my old phone but am a bit stuck why I can connect but am probably not being given dns for some reason.

Thanks

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have uninstalled the app and removed the device from the WiFi webpage. Also "forgot" the WiFi hotspot from my phone.

I did however add the device back in using the o2 app. Maybe try not adding it from the app and use the hotspot may work?? I will try this next time as its worth a shot.

Message 11 of 36

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 12 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still a no go unfortunately. The homepage loaded and didn't know who I was as I haven't got a device registered. I then went through registration using the hotspot webpage and sent a confirmation SMS. It then does the same as before with saying welcome back and my name on the home page but no internet. As before I am on the network but have had to resort to turning WiFi off in order to connect to the o2 app and send this message.
Message 13 of 36

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
This needs CS to look into it for you.
Give them a free call on 202 and explain the issues and what you've done so far.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have but they just said the same thing about going and trying a hotspot again. They did say they would ring back with somebody more technical to talk to me but haven't. Also somebody on the o2 chat said they would get somebody to call me but haven't.

I will try again but don't have much time during work hours to talk. I hope somebody technical is there over the weekend. Sounds like its their end that's the problem.
Message 15 of 36

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Just curious can you log into your MyO2 Wi_Fi account ok here?

https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/my

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 16 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I can, this is were I deleted my device when asked to try starting from scratch.
I did notice my device has now shown up as "Android" instead of "Nexus 5" after using the hotspot to register my device instead of the app.
Message 17 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I spent about 45 minutes on the phone to the 202 number. Passed from one lady asking me questions such as "is my WiFi on". To then be asked very similar questions by an apparent technical member of staffed who told me the nexus 5 is not supported by o2 WiFi. I refused to believe her but this is how she left it.

Does anyone have any idea how I can actually get this fixed??
Message 18 of 36

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
That sounds like a load of crap because they don't know how to fix it 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Basically yeah your correct. I did say to her I doubt that's the case cos its just like any other phone and I can take any random laptop to a MacDonald's and jump straight on. There was just a long awkward silence and she just replied "sorry".
I don't care if she isn't that technical I just want to be passed on to somebody who is. The only thing I could get out of her myself is that my Mac address is correct on the system they have their end.
Message 20 of 36