• 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
Especially if they decide to jettison one or two MVNOs wink

But seriously, I was just using the old adage, that you get what you pay for. I appreciate that it's not always the case, but it's usually been true in my experience.
Message 21 of 29

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 22 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm only on PAYG, and I've swapped networks so many times over the years. Rightly or wrongly, the MVNOs that I've tried out, never seemed to offer a service that was truly comparable with that of their parent or host network. Virgin Mobile for example, still doesn't offer 4G unless you're on one of their business tariffs, and there's a few others out there who are only offering 3G.

Over on giffgaff, people are forever moaning that they can't get access to O2 services such as TuGo or O2 Priority, but failing to recognise that they're not actually O2 customers.

I made the switch to O2 in order to get a more reliable and convenient service, and as long as it still offers me more benefits, I'm prepared to pay a few extra quid for it.
Message 23 of 29

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
I agree, gg shouldn't get HD so soon after roll out. Unless that is, they stump up more for the privilege!

And whoever mentioned giffgaffs data "experience" is right lol it's pants 😢
Message 24 of 29

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

GG,  Tesco, Lyca and Sky next year should have no access to the services that I pay O2 extra money for. They want the benefits then put their hands in their pockets like we O2 customers have to. If the mvno's get all the perks then we may as well join them ourselves.

Message 25 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

The challenge for MVNOs is to develop their own products and services to rival those being offered by the main networks (I believe that Vectone have an App which is similar to TuGo). At the end of the day, the host network is sharing its core infrastructure, but its MVNO partners still have to stand on their own two feet, and not take the term "piggyback" too literally.

Message 26 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I agree @Anonymous

However I would imagine that if MVNO's start that level of development then they will no longer be a cheap(er) option?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I agree @Anonymous

However I would imagine that if MVNO's start that level of development then they will no longer be a cheap(er) option?

I suppose it's a catch 22 situation in some respects. Those companies that operate solely online for example, are able to offer cheaper products and services, but then people often bemoan the fact that they can't speak to someone when they have a problem. giffgaff actively targets a younger demographic, and then rewards them for helping others who are perhaps not quite so tech savvy. Clearly it's a lot cheaper than operating a call centre, which translates to cheaper call charges etc.

MVNOs often start out filling niche markets, but many struggle to remain competitive, and end up going out of business. I've no experience of Tesco Mobile, but giffgaff have got so many irons in the fire at the moment (now that they've started selling loans), that they're no longer just a mobile network. But maybe they're just trying to protect their longer term interests, in case their new owners Three decide to offload them.

Message 28 of 29

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

With Three's customer base coupled with O2's I can't see a need for mvno's. Sky will be a big player, I can see Tesco going independent and just where that will leave the likes of giffgaff and Lyca Mobile is anyone's guess. 

Message 29 of 29