cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly O2 SIM-only ordered with Carphone Warehouse -- possible to transfer to existing O2 account?

GJD
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hello,

I realise it's busy because of Black Cyber Weekend, and I'll try tomorrow, but I'm wondering if anyone knows whether this will be straightforward thing to sort out with Customer Services or not.

I have an existing SIM-only Pay Monthly account with O2.

Today I ordered a new O2 SIM-only Pay Monthly plan through Carphone Warehouse (£2 a month more than my existing tariff). I would like this new SIM-only tariff transferred to my existing account to replace my existing tariff. I have entered the same Direct Debit details, but I gave Carphone Warehouse a different email to the one linked to my existing O2 account. CW have passed on this email to O2 who have sent me emails to that account asking me to verify it before setting it up. 

I don't want two accounts, and maybe I should have just gone direct to O2 (but Carphone Warehouse are offering a £50 PC World voucher). I'm hoping it should be straightforward, but I hope I haven't tied myself in a knot. Essentially I'm upgrading the tariff and starting the clock again on a 12-month contract while remaining with O2 so I hope it should work out. Just wondering if anyone here has any good or bad news to impart on the topic!

(Can't go wrong, mind -- unlimited mins/texts, 20GB ... for £20!)

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's all ok except that you haven't upgraded, you have started another new contract so you need to contact o2 CS to cancel your old one or else you will be paying for two.
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's all ok except that you haven't upgraded, you have started another new contract so you need to contact o2 CS to cancel your old one or else you will be paying for two.
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Ask them to transfer the number from the old account to the new account and that will effectively close the original accout.

Message 3 of 10

GJD
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Ah, thanks to you both. I'll try phoning them now. My existing account is still within a 12-month contract, so I'm hoping that doesn't mean I'll end up having two concurrent contracts. It may end up that I have to cancel the new one through Carphone Warehouse. I'll see what O2 say. Hope it doesn't get too messy -- the £50 PC World voucher was a bit too tempting a carrot!

Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

£50 isn't to be sneezed at for sure. Just make sure you tell them you want to upgrade so they don't start a new contract. Transfer your number and you will be fine.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I wouldn't think that CPW could cancel your old contract so you'd have to do that through O2 CS. Be aware that you may have to pay off the remainder of your contract though.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

GJD
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I've spoken with O2 -- didn't take all that long to get through (five-minute wait with some messed up hold-music that sounded like a load of white noise). Very nice woman who I spoke to.

They told me I can only change every tariffs three months (and I upgraded my tariff in October -- the deal this weekend at £20 for 20GB is just £2 more a month for double the data).

They've ended up cancelling the new account set up by Carphone Warehouse and they will allow this new tariff to kick in with next month's bill (which on the one hand seems contradictory to saying you can only change it every three months). O2 have also said to keep an eye on my bank account and cancel any new direct debit that comes up.

They seemed a bit ambivalent about whether or not I need to contact Carphone Warehouse. I received today a delivery from them (very quick) containing a CW dot-matrix printout, an O2 SIM card, and a £50 Currys PC World gift card. Perhaps I ought to contact them but in effect, after talking with O2, I have what I intended -- i.e. this new tariff for just £2 a month more for double the data. Some part of me though is feeling a bit naughty at the prospect of holding onto (or spending) the £50 gift card ... 😕

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Have you had any email confirmation that the new contract was cancelled?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

GJD
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

No, but I never did go through the verification process (by clicking on links from an email sent by O2 soon after CW sent a confirmation) to link that secondary email address to the new O2 phone number/account.

(I have two main email addresses -- one for work/personal direct contacts, and another one for purchases and marketing stuff. My existing O2 account is linked to my work/personal email).

I wonder what will happen if I click on that verification link? I've a feeling it might add to the convoluted process, so I've held off doing so. It would be good to have a confirmation of the cancellation though. The O2 agent said she would be sending it to her supervisor -- she identified it from my address/personal details and the direct debit sort code. No direct debit for this new O2 account has yet appeared on my bank's list of direct debits.

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just keep your eye on things until you're sure all is OK then.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10