cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get rid of 02 service? Or even contact customer support?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm very frustrated, and maybe this isn't the right place to ask this question. Hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction.

I live in Califronia, but I came to the UK for a few weeks last month, and a local friend lent me a phone to use for the duration of my trip. I spent £20 to get some data on it, which included a sim card. The store sold me something called a tariff (I honestly have NO IDEA what this is, because everything works so differently in the US), and then fought with O2 for four days to actually get the dratted thing active and working.

I'm back in the States now, the phone has been returned to my friend, and I'm trying to figure out how to reach customer support to cancel the service. I don't want to be charged £20 this month. But there deosn't seem to be a way to do this! There's no email address, no hours listed for the online chat, and calling from my phone in the States will cost an arm and a leg. Is there NO WAY to cancel accounts through the web site? Or any way to reach someone? This is driving me BANANAS.

HELP.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23072 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@Anonymous A tariff is the fixed price you pay. It's a Pay & Go sim, so just forget it. It's asking you to top up. If you don't, it's finished. The number associated with the sim will eventually get recycled. There's nothing for you to worry about. As I said, if you're concerned, phone the 800 number on Skype, but you really shouldn't need to.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Bambino
  • 23072 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@Anonymous Who told you that you would be charged £20 this month? Did you purchase a Pay & Go sim card? If so, you won't be charged any more than what you already paid. You couldn't possibly have taken out a contract, as you would need to provide a UK address and UK credit or debit card to do that. As the phone has been returned to your friend, just tell them to take out the sim card you bought and forget about it. 

Edit: If you still feel unsure and would like to speak to customer service, if you have Skype or another VOIP you can call using this number, which would be a free call: +44 800 032 1402. Just remember that as you're in California, you're 8 hours behind UK time.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for responding. I have this message on the account page:

"You need enough balance on 25 November 2017 to cover the cost of your tariff next month."

I guess I just assumed it would automatically bill my card? But maybe that's because that's what would inevitably happen here ... does it not work that way in the UK? It does seem to be a pay & go. So, if I don't add money to my account, the whole thing will just ... go away? It won't be an outstanding/late account or anything?

What the heck IS a tariff, anyway?

Message 3 of 10

Bambino
  • 23072 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@Anonymous A tariff is the fixed price you pay. It's a Pay & Go sim, so just forget it. It's asking you to top up. If you don't, it's finished. The number associated with the sim will eventually get recycled. There's nothing for you to worry about. As I said, if you're concerned, phone the 800 number on Skype, but you really shouldn't need to.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Just to confirm what @Bambino has said is certainly correct.
It is pay as you go, so just ignore it and it will go away.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10171 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

A tariff is what you guys in the US call the Service Plan slight_smile 

@MI5 wrote:
Just to confirm what @Bambino has said is certainly correct.
It is pay as you go, so just ignore it and it will go away.

I would suggest making sure auto topup is switched off via my o2 otherwise it may charge you...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Not if it’s a US credit card surely?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10171 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions
It could be that its his friends credit card.. so just wanted to make doubley sure to make sure its switched off
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you!
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome, thank you!
Message 10 of 10