Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

How are the Contract changes fair?

After being a loyal o2 customer for many many years, I think I've finally made the decision this will be the last time I renew my contract with o2.
Back in July last year, I was enjoying the full benefits of being a loyal customer with a fantastic contract that was slashed in price purely because I had been a high paying customer for a long, long time. However, deciding to take the plunge and become an iPhone owner, I was disappointed to learn the fact that exclusivity meant that if you wanted an iPhone, you had to pay extortionate prices to get your hands on one. Weighing up the Pro's and cons at that time, I gave in and over the last 18 months my bills have ranged between £45 - £100 due to not enough minutes.
So baring in mind I've been with o2 a very long time, and they have taken a lot of money out of me, my bills are always paid on time, I then receive a text
"From now on we will be charging you 20p per MMS that you send."
Oh and another this morning regarding the Allowance cut;
"From next month your Unlimited Data Allowance will become 750 mb".
RIGHT, so lets get this straight, I pay in the region of £80 every single month, you want to slash my Unlimited Allowance and you want to charge me EXTRA for MMS messages. What sort of ludicrous money robbing set up is this?! I realise Unlimited Data is ALOT - but the comfort of knowing I can use what I want whenever I want is why I've paid for that feature for the last 17 months.
I'm just disappointed. I feel ripped off, conned, how is this fair? I am so very angry - and as I said I believe this is the last time I renew my contract with o2. Luckily my contract ends next month and needless to say I'm sure there are better deals out there somewhere.
Anonymous

Re: How are the Contract changes fair?

Unfortuanely we are all in the same boat, thats how times have changed now.
Luckily for me the iphone tariffs suit me as am more of a texter than caller.
Anonymous

good luck in finding unlimited data etc elsewhere. as all mobile companies have a limit on the data allowance they give to customers.
Anonymous

I'm in the same boat, been with o2 for a few years and just feel like they're ripping me off left right and centre now. 20p mms plus **** data allowance has pretty much done it for me, when my contract comes up for renewal I will definitely be going elsewhere.
Anonymous

I find it hard to believe we are going down this route again.
We discussed this to death back when this was first announced.
I am happy the data abusers have been reined in!! Smiley Tongue
Anonymous

good luck in finding unlimited data etc elsewhere. as all mobile companies have a limit on the data allowance they give to customers.

It's not so much the fact I'm going to use Unlimited - I just like the comfort of knowing I don't need to worry what I use and how much of it I do. I'm just struggling to understand where my money is now going as my iPhone is 18 months old so thats surely paid off - I don't know how they can justify the extra 20p's per MMS as a lot of us are high paying customers and it seems they just want to squeeze every little penny out of their loyal customers.
Topics: 297
Kudos: 1,856
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

so have you changed/modified your contract since the new tariffs came in? or are you still on a pre june 2010 tariff with no changes made?
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Anonymous

It's not so much the fact I'm going to use Unlimited - I just like the comfort of knowing I don't need to worry what I use and how much of it I do. I'm just struggling to understand where my money is now going as my iPhone is 18 months old so thats surely paid off - I don't know how they can justify the extra 20p's per MMS as a lot of us are high paying customers and it seems they just want to squeeze every little penny out of their loyal customers.

An average user on the internet uses about 200MB a month. I think what O2 are doing is a good thing. Bringing itself along the lines of other networks. However what you need to understand is, that O2 is not going to be overcharging you, if you reach your internet allowance. They simply slow the internet down. Unlike some other networks who will overcharge you for going over your internet allowance. You also get notified when your reaching your allowance. Regarding 20p per MMS. Name a network that actually gives you free MMS these days? I would be interested to find this out. Most people these days also have phones that support email. Have you considered ever sending a photo via email? so therefore your not charged for sending a photo??
Anonymous

I remember about 12 years ago, mobile phone was a luxary.
PAYG was launched around then and £15, got you 30 days access and no free texts or calls.
12 years on with inflation rising every year, you get much more for that same £15.
Most mobile providers have to keep the prices as low as possible to remain competative, but low prices + unlimited or too many free perks puts too much strain on the network and not enough revenue to maintain or upgrade it.
O2 seem to be doing the logical thing from a business perspective. Limiting how much people get for free. This should (in my theory) either ease conjestion & strain on the networking, meaning they can keep prices lower for longer, or it will generate more revenue for the network meaning more upgrades and better coverage & less outages
Anonymous

I remember about 12 years ago, mobile phone was a luxary.
PAYG was launched around then and £15, got you 30 days access and no free texts or calls.
12 years on with inflation rising every year, you get much more for that same £15.
Most mobile providers have to keep the prices as low as possible to remain competative, but low prices + unlimited or too many free perks puts too much strain on the network and not enough revenue to maintain or upgrade it.
O2 seem to be doing the logical thing from a business perspective. Limiting how much people get for free. This should (in my theory) either ease conjestion & strain on the networking, meaning they can keep prices lower for longer, or it will generate more revenue for the network meaning more upgrades and better coverage & less outages

I agree totally with what you say on this one.