Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Handsets supplied with contracts

I've now found this PDF of the T&C's.

Para 2 of Equipment Agreement (about half way down) - interesting reading.

http://www.o2.co.uk/assets/O2HybridNav/Static-files/PDFs/AIRTIMEPAYMONTHLY_JAN09.pdf

SV
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

How the heck did you find that?

It covers ownership clearly and then refers to "your warranty" which I assume is dependent on which phone you buy. Smiley Wink Smiley Wink
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Anonymous

How the heck did you find that?

Sudden attack of memory Smiley Happy

I should have remembered that I got some hard copy T&C's when I upgraded my phone. I'm pretty organised when it comes to filing paperwork. I dug 'em out, read them and then searched for "Equipment Agreement" on the o2 site search.

So basically this PDF is the same as the paper copy of my T&C's for my contract & handset.

This is the reason I started this thread. Posters on here have different beliefs about their handset and contract terms because there are different and ambiguous T&C's floating around on the o2 site.

What I'm understanding from this PDF is that:

"The Equipment that we deliver to you or which is collected by you, becomes your responsibility once it is collected or received by you at which time
ownership will pass to you, subject to paragraph 2.5."

So that clears that up. You sign the contract, take posession of the handset and it's your's - unless it is not fit for purpose or develops a fault, in which case you can return it to o2 for repairs (or replacement new or reconditioned) OR contact the manufacturer to fix it under their warranty.

"2.5 If you bought your Equipment or SIM Card directly from us and it is defective, not in accordance with any description given to you by us, not reasonably fit for purpose or it develops a fault you will be able to return it for repair and, if appropriate, replacement or refund. Please contact Customer Services for details. You should call us as soon as possible if any of the circumstances above apply to you to ensure that you are able to exercise any rights you have.

Alternatively, if you experience any difficulties with your Equipment within your warranty period, you can contact the manufacturer for replacement or
repair under the manufacturer's warranty service detailed in the User Guide(s). This does not affect your statutory rights. "

I pasted that stuff in for those folk who are interested in this thread and don't want to wade through the T&C's.

As for the guarantee is does appear that o2 cover the phone for the life of the contract, although you're allowed to go to the manufacturer within their own guarantee period.

I think that's as clear as we're going to get Smiley Happy

SV

Agreed, and well done to wanty for pointing it out. Smiley Wink
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Anonymous

It doesn't actually state that o2 guarantees the phone for the length of the contract (far be it for o2 to be actually unambiguous) but the phrase:

"...or it develops a fault you will be able to return it for repair and, if appropriate, replacement or refund. Please contact Customer Services for details. You should call us as soon as possible if any of the circumstances above apply to you..."

doesn't mention a timescale for this reporting of faults so I presume we can accept that there is no timescale other than the length of the contract.

I was naive enough to believe that o2 would have an unequivocal statement about guarantees somewhere on the site. It's making my brain throb, and as I said, I don't think we'll get any further in the T&C's.

However, if there's someone out there who's had a repair arranged on their handset, say, 17 months into a contract, that would settle the matter once and for all Smiley Happy

SV
Anonymous

Around 16 months into the contract my N95 broke, I called o2 and they told me I had an 18 month warranty with the phone and I could send it to them for repair. The order details of the phone when I upgraded were like this: Delivery Charges, 18 Month Warranty, Nokia N95 3G (PP05)-H, Q207 Online GBP40 Texter, Q207 LW 2000 Mins FL.

Note the 18 month warranty (I signed an 18 month contract)!

When I upgraded to the X1 recently there was no information on this. I am just going to guess the warranty will be 18 months as well, as I have an 18 month contract again. It is an interesting point you bring up here!
Anonymous

It doesn't actually state that o2 guarantees the phone for the length of the contract (far be it for o2 to be actually unambiguous) but the phrase:
"...or it develops a fault you will be able to return it for repair and, if appropriate, replacement or refund. Please contact Customer Services for details. You should call us as soon as possible if any of the circumstances above apply to you..."
doesn't mention a timescale for this reporting of faults so I presume we can accept that there is no timescale other than the length of the contract.
I was naive enough to believe that o2 would have an unequivocal statement about guarantees somewhere on the site. It's making my brain throb, and as I said, I don't think we'll get any further in the T&C's.
However, if there's someone out there who's had a repair arranged on their handset, say, 17 months into a contract, that would settle the matter once and for all Smiley Happy
SV

I've had a repair on month 17, it ended up being cheaper to replace the handset so I got a brand new one (flogged it on fleabay) and then an upgrade a few days later Smiley Very Happy

It always makes me laugh when people phone up a week before their upgrade date asking for an early upgrade because their handset is faulty, I don't see why they don't just get it repaired meaning they can sell it on and then upgrade the next week.

There are no timescales for getting it repaired, you can leave it months if you wish, it will still be covered so long as you're still on that contract, its only insurance claims that have a timescale in which you can claim.

Mmmm thinks, I might be better off getting a contract phone next time. I have always bought a payg phone outright and used Simplicity sim contract only.

I only avoided getting a contract phone due to being unclear on warranties.

I was under the impression the contract could outlive the phone, but evidently not. Smiley Wink Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Anonymous

Maybe the reaon o2 don't state in black and white "we guarantee your handset for the life of the contract" is that they don't want to make it so clear. Smiley Wink

The fact wanty and supergtaz and no doubt many other customers have had free repairs on their handset well into their contract term suggests that they do cover the phone for the life of the contract, but don't Nokia have longer warranties than most?

To be honest, I've never kept a contract phone for long, I generally sell it after a few months and buy another, so I've never had to avail myself of the guarantee.

I just started this thread as I was confused by the differing views on this board regarding handsets and guarantees.

I like the fact that this sentence "...or it develops a fault you will be able to return it for repair and, if appropriate, replacement or refund" pretty much gives o2 managers discretion in which they decide to do. Not that I blame them. They are a business after all.

SV
Anonymous

Nokia have 2 year guarantee's.

The sale of goods act allows the retailer to decide which will be more economically viable whilst reducing the impact on the customer. Sending it off for repair is the cheaper option although after some time o2 will just decide its more in the customers interests to replace.