Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Delaying upgrade and O2 Open

In February i was due an upgrade from my iPhone 3g 1200 mins, unlimited text (bolt on) tariff which was about £60. I work for Lloyds TSB and had the O2 open discount of 30%. When i called to query my upgrade i was told numerous times that if i upgraded my O2 open would automatically be transferred across.
I decided not to upgrade at the time as there was no handsets i wanted and with the rumours of the iPhone 4S or 5 coming out towards the end of the year i was happy staying on the tarriff i had (with unlimited data too!).
Unfortunately last week on holiday my phone was stolen and my insurance excess went from £30 o £150 for all iphones so i decided i might as well upgrade. Called to block the phone and the advisor asked why i had never switched to a simplicity deal, reducing my monthly payments yet still keep my phone and could then upgrade whenever i wanted. i told him i had never heard about this even though i had spoken to several advisors previously (changing address, querying phone bill etc). As i was going to upgrade anyway i asked about O2 open and they confirmed as it was on my account still i was able to transfer it to the new upgraded tarriff but would have to do this instore.
Went into my local store and they didn't have the iPhone 4 in white in stock, and wouldn't for a week, so went the next day, to my other store. Managed to upgrade through pricematch to iPhone 4 White, £41/month (900 mins & texts) and £6 internet bundle and not pay anything for the phone. When asked about O2 open they said they had to restart it and its credit only (wouldnt say how much) rather than outright discount. And that i would need to obtain the code.
If i had originally upgraded to whatever phoneback in February, i would still have been able to take advantage of the O2 30% discount as it was still running, and be now 6 months into an 18 month contract. So after being advised incorrectly, im now just starting a new 18 month contact, for about the same im paying previously, even though for the past 6 months i could have been paying £30 (i think) rather than £45/month due to the simplicitytarriff. I asked in store about how i felt i'd been misadvised and they said it was to do with phone staff and not store staff. Anyone able to advise me on where i should contact or who to write to. As ive taken up a new contact, on 18 months, which now without 30% will mean i pay £10 roughly/month more than before.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Delaying upgrade and O2 Open

You haven't been mis-advised though. If you had upgraded at the time you were still entitled to it then you could have continued with it. The rules between then and now have changed.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Apart from being told everytime in the past 6 months ive contacted someone that the 30% will carry across? even though it seems to have been unavilable and expired for longer than this? What im really saying is, if i had known that when i come to upgrade they would turn around and say no we can't actually carry it across, i would have upgraded back in February and ended up paying less than i am now. So be being told each time "yes your 30% is like a bolt on and will just carry over, provided you work for Lloyds still" for a store member to say "oh no, that cancelled ages ago and wouldn't carry over, you'd have to apply the new one" just takes the mick. i understand the t&cs have changed etc with open, but regardless, if im being told that it will continue indefinitley unless i leave O2 or Lloyds then clearly im under the impression its going to continue.
I do see what your saying though, so appreciate the reply.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Blagger - i 100% feel your pain. I have received the same treatment.
It's upgrade time and i spoke to someone on Livechat about my 30% discount who said it would continue through an upgrade. I went in store to upgrade, told it was only a credit and i need the code again. Went back online and told it would be 30% off and only be able to be done over the phone with 'Upgrades' on 202.
Upgrades told me it's only a credit and i had to do it in store. So i went online again who told me my 30% discount shouldnt be there and i am on 'O2 Open' which is just a credit. I was forwarded to the Team Manager after kicking up a fuss and told to call the support team.
I called retentions/cancellations who said O2 employees get 30% off, O2 open code users (John Lewis, Lloyds, National Rail etc.) get a credit of £125 (£175 if you work for mcdonalds!). I made a point of saying i had been given so much crappy information and now when it comes to upgrading and choosing whether i want to stay with the phone provider i have been with for the past 2 years, it will now cost me more than it ever has, to continue my custom with them.
I believe they don't value customers anymore and we are told to feel special that O2 is letting us continue with them, and we should be the grateful ones!
Sorry to hear you are having the same crap as me though. I have since been downgraded to a SIMplicity contract for £21.50 a month (30 day contract) to wait til the iPhone 5 comes out, as i'd like to upgrade to that if it's any good.
It still doesn't get over the fact I will be paying more than before. The terms changed on the discount and i wasn't informed of this.. instead it was left as a 'surprise' when i came to upgrade.. shocking customer service tbh.
Bottom line.. you will only get a credit of up to £125 mate. Tariffs have jumped up since the days I got mine and it's just something we, as 'grateful' customers, are just going to have to take on the chin.