cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheers O2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looking to upgrade my phone as I've reached the last month of my 18 month contract... I originally got this contract with a Samsung Tocco Ultra, which after the send back peroid I realized was a dreadful phone.
I managed to get an iphone about 12 months into my contract and called them up to change my tarrif for an iphone, they did this but charged me for a normal tarrif (as if they'd given me an iPhone) which I though was a bit unfair, especially after seeing their iPhone sim only tarrifs plastered everywhere.
Anyway after overpaying for the last 6 months I'm trying to upgrade. I was looking at the HTC Desire, and saw that to get it free I would be on a tarrif paying £40 per month for two entire years. I went to see the phone on another network, and found it on T-Mobile for £25 per month with only 200 less minutes a month; but other than that an identical tarrif!
I called O2 to say I would like to stay on O2, as I've never had a problem and ask whether they could negotiate the price down a bit, even to £35 I'd have been happy. The answer was a flat out no. I've been with O2 mobile for over 10 years now, and I also have O2 Broadband and O2 Homephone. It would seem years of loyalty buys you nothing here. Not even a fiver off a month.
Luckily I just realized my broadband contract is almost over, and my homephone one in a few months, I look forward to leaving O2 and I suggest you do the same.
All their phones and tarrifs are priced way over other networks' equivalents.
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are numerous other threads about the same thing and the response in those is basically the same, if you leave then another new customer will take your place, so O2 don't seem to be bothered.
I however have got to agree that O2 don't even want to price match. I too am soon to come to the end of a very good 18 month contract that had a £15 loyality discount so am not about to trash them, but don't see any alternative but to look elsewhere for a better deal. A simple example is the Samsung Genio. O2 offer is 18 month contract at £30 a month, 300 mins, unlimited txts and a web bolt on. The handset can be bought for only £49 and a sim only is £20!! Where is the sense in that pricing? Any high spec handset they offer (and they don't offer much) and you're talking £35+ on 18/24 month contract.
I really do like O2 but am dreading my upgrade day (8th October) as I can't see me getting any good deal. Real shame as it has left me pondering Simplicity, Tesco Mobile and other networks as they offer really good deals.

Anonymous
Not applicable
did that genio offer not come with a free xbox too?

Anonymous
Not applicable
did that genio offer not come with a free xbox too?

It used to. Don't see the free gift advertised with it any more!

Anonymous
Not applicable
o2 don't actually owe you anything. The HTC Desire is an incredibly popular high value handset which is probably why you can't get any money off it - I'm assuming it was retentions you were speaking to instead of upgrades. As others have said why give you £5 off when a new customer will fill your place. You'll also find the other networks are trying to work on this principle too.
And finally you can't move from an 18 month plan onto a simplicity mid contract so and 18 month iphone tariff would have been correct...so you've not been overcharged either.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah time we all enjoyed £5,£10,£15 discounts on our contracts a month are over enojy it while you lasted. People who stay in the contract price will virtually have no chance of getting any discount in the future.
Customer spending reguarly over the contract amount each month may still be able to talk about discount.

Anonymous
Not applicable
o2 don't actually owe you anything. The HTC Desire is an incredibly popular high value handset which is probably why you can't get any money off it - I'm assuming it was retentions you were speaking to instead of upgrades. As others have said why give you £5 off when a new customer will fill your place. You'll also find the other networks are trying to work on this principle too.
And finally you can't move from an 18 month plan onto a simplicity mid contract so and 18 month iphone tariff would have been correct...so you've not been overcharged either.

I beg to differ! When I called CS and told them my phone was no longer working and *considered* looking elsewhere, I was offered the HTC Desire for £285. So as the OP said he would have been happy with a £5 discount. 18 x 5 being only £90. Not sure what a new Desire costs but it looks like O2 were able to offer me the equivalent on the reduced handset price but offered him nothing.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Firstly the reason you would have been moved to a normal Iphone contract is because you would still be paying off the original phone you had. Each month part of the money you pay goes towards paying for the Phone.
Also yes O2 may not be the cheapest, but remember after 9 month's you can drop your tariff down, I personal am staying with o2 even though they cost a bit more.
As I get a UK call centre, decent customer service, yes they have some fault's but nobody/company is perfect, and it just works slight_smile

Anonymous
Not applicable

I beg to differ! When I called CS and told them my phone was no longer working and *considered* looking elsewhere, I was offered the HTC Desire for £285. So as the OP said he would have been happy with a £5 discount. 18 x 5 being only £90. Not sure what a new Desire costs but it looks like O2 were able to offer me the equivalent on the reduced handset price but offered him nothing.

£285 is the 'in contract replacement price' which is usually much lower than the usual RRP and o2 make next to no profit. It's usually for customers who have a lost/stolen/damaged phone but no insurance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

£285 is the 'in contract replacement price' which is usually much lower than the usual RRP and o2 make next to no profit. It's usually for customers who have a lost/stolen/damaged phone but no insurance.

Thanks for clarifying that