cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change name on contract?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I created this account for me and my daughter many years ago for her to have a pay as you go phone. Once she got a job, she got her own pay monthly contract and its connected to the same account.

I no longer use O2 myself, so my daughter would like to take over the account into her own name. Is it possible to transfer her name onto the account or do I have to cancel it for her to make her own account from new? 

Many thanks

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123306 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous You can't change the account holders name. If the account is in your name then it will have to be cancelled for her to take out a new one in her name. She must apply for her own account and pass the credit checks. It might be better to let this contract run it's course (dependent on how much time is left?)

Info on cancellation here

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-guides/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/ba-p/566774#M56526

Edited to add: I have just noticed that she already has a contract running. I have just checked a few previous posts on here which say you may be able to get the account holders name changed if you contact customer services, with your daughter present so that security questions can be answered etc. It's worth a try

https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
  • 123306 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous You can't change the account holders name. If the account is in your name then it will have to be cancelled for her to take out a new one in her name. She must apply for her own account and pass the credit checks. It might be better to let this contract run it's course (dependent on how much time is left?)

Info on cancellation here

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-guides/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/ba-p/566774#M56526

Edited to add: I have just noticed that she already has a contract running. I have just checked a few previous posts on here which say you may be able to get the account holders name changed if you contact customer services, with your daughter present so that security questions can be answered etc. It's worth a try

https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 144881 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
You actually say your daughter has an account in her own name and that she is using your account, so I’m a bit confused?
Is it just the login to MyO2 that is still using your email address?
If so, just go to Manage my details in your MyO2 and change the username which is the emai address, to your daughters.
She can then change the password too and have total control over the account online.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous can you let us know if any of the above advice helped you? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry I should've made it clearer.

I created the account and since she has taken over the account, changing the email address password bank etc but she is unable to change the account name into hers.

We have both been on live chat on different occasions but they recommend we call customer services in order to change the name over. My daughter lives away from me so we will have to wait until we are next together to call up.

Thank you all for your help slight_smile
Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144881 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
The only time you can change the name to a different person is when you upgrade the contract as the new person has to pass the credit check.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123306 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Yes, that's what I thought. It was slightly confusing though when @Anonymous stated her daughter had a contract....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 13

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

All becomes clear now and @MI5 is correct. You cannot change the name on an existing contract. 

Message 8 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123306 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

I also said it in my first post....:smileytongue:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 13

jonsie