cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot activate/deactivate voicemail or Call Alert

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I know the forum members are O2 customers like myself but I am hoping someone from O2 may see my post or that another member has had the same issue a knows how it can be resolved.

I joined O2 Pay Monthly on 15th January with an iPhone 7, and my number from Vodafone successfully ported across on 16th January. When my number ported over, my voicemail stopped working and I had to set it up again - fair enough.

However, when I call 1750 (voicemail on), I get the following message:

"Thank you for choosing to use O2's voicemail. Please hold the line whilst we switch on your O2 messaging service, you have not been charged for this call..... Your messaging service could not be set up as we have not received your number - please call customer services for assistance".

If I call 1760 (voicemail off), I get:

"Please hold the line whilst we switch off your O2 messaging service, you have not been charged for this call. Your messaging service could not be switched off, please contact customer services for assistance"

If I call 1710 to active O2 Call Alert, I get the same message as when calling 1750.

I have spoken to customer services over the phone and over chat, and they just cannot get it sorted and every time I speak to someone we go through exactly the same steps:

• Text STATE to 9011 - doesn't fix it
  • Reset network settings via iPhone settings - doesn't fix it
  • Make sure the Vodafone number is the number in the phone settings - it is
  • Key ##002# to switch Voicemail off - yes that works instead of 1760, but I can't get voicemail back on
  • Trying the SIM in another phone has the same results when calling 1750 and 1760. This was only attempted after trying everyone on the iPhone.

The Vodafone number is fully operational on my mobile and everything else works perfectly. It shows in My O2, I can make/receive calls, texts, use data etc.

I have been into an O2 store and the person I spoke to rang customer services and said it could be that Vodafone haven't released the number properly - despite every single other thing working correctly. They arrange for the number porting team to look into the issue earlier this week, and that it would be resolved - but still nothing.

It looks like I am going to have to have another trip to an O2 store but it's so infuriating that I cannot get Voicemail to be active - I need it working.

If anyone has had anything like this before and knows what the problem is please let me know.

Many thanks

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I had a missed call from a Private Number this morning at around 9.30am, but of course they couldn't leave a voicemail... however out of curiousity I tried 1750 and BINGO - voicemail on successful. 

If it was O2 (which I am inclined to think it was) then I am glad they could resolve this for me.

It's still okay this evening - tried switching off, switching to O2 Call Alert instead, switching back to Voicemail and it's all good. So I'm happy now smiley

Thanks again to everyone who replied and hope you all have a great weekend.

Message 11 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145091 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
That's great news.
Glad it's sorted for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 12 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 123381 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

So pleased it worked out for you eventually @Anonymous wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 17

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

It's great to hear this has been sorted @Anonymous! Give us a shout if the issue appears again. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 14 of 17

mchu5pwp
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am having the exact same issue as the original poster. Can i fix this myself without wasting hours on chats or on the phone to customer services?

Message 15 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145091 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@mchu5pwp wrote:

I am having the exact same issue as the original poster. Can i fix this myself without wasting hours on chats or on the phone to customer services?

You’ll need to speak to customer service to get your number correctly provisioned on the network. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 16 of 17

Flewitt
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was also getting the error "Your messaging service could not be set up as we have not received your number" when dialing 1750 and your sugestion of turning off  WiFi Calling resolved it. Many thanks 🙂

Message 17 of 17