cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot activate/deactivate voicemail or Call Alert

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I know the forum members are O2 customers like myself but I am hoping someone from O2 may see my post or that another member has had the same issue a knows how it can be resolved.

I joined O2 Pay Monthly on 15th January with an iPhone 7, and my number from Vodafone successfully ported across on 16th January. When my number ported over, my voicemail stopped working and I had to set it up again - fair enough.

However, when I call 1750 (voicemail on), I get the following message:

"Thank you for choosing to use O2's voicemail. Please hold the line whilst we switch on your O2 messaging service, you have not been charged for this call..... Your messaging service could not be set up as we have not received your number - please call customer services for assistance".

If I call 1760 (voicemail off), I get:

"Please hold the line whilst we switch off your O2 messaging service, you have not been charged for this call. Your messaging service could not be switched off, please contact customer services for assistance"

If I call 1710 to active O2 Call Alert, I get the same message as when calling 1750.

I have spoken to customer services over the phone and over chat, and they just cannot get it sorted and every time I speak to someone we go through exactly the same steps:

• Text STATE to 9011 - doesn't fix it
  • Reset network settings via iPhone settings - doesn't fix it
  • Make sure the Vodafone number is the number in the phone settings - it is
  • Key ##002# to switch Voicemail off - yes that works instead of 1760, but I can't get voicemail back on
  • Trying the SIM in another phone has the same results when calling 1750 and 1760. This was only attempted after trying everyone on the iPhone.

The Vodafone number is fully operational on my mobile and everything else works perfectly. It shows in My O2, I can make/receive calls, texts, use data etc.

I have been into an O2 store and the person I spoke to rang customer services and said it could be that Vodafone haven't released the number properly - despite every single other thing working correctly. They arrange for the number porting team to look into the issue earlier this week, and that it would be resolved - but still nothing.

It looks like I am going to have to have another trip to an O2 store but it's so infuriating that I cannot get Voicemail to be active - I need it working.

If anyone has had anything like this before and knows what the problem is please let me know.

Many thanks

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I had a missed call from a Private Number this morning at around 9.30am, but of course they couldn't leave a voicemail... however out of curiousity I tried 1750 and BINGO - voicemail on successful. 

If it was O2 (which I am inclined to think it was) then I am glad they could resolve this for me.

It's still okay this evening - tried switching off, switching to O2 Call Alert instead, switching back to Voicemail and it's all good. So I'm happy now smiley

Thanks again to everyone who replied and hope you all have a great weekend.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Not sure whether you have read our guide on Voicemail here.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-guides/All-you-need-to-know-about-O2-Voicemail-901/ba-p/547712#U547712

If all else fails then it looks as if you may have to take it back to the store to get it sorted. Unless one of our other more experienced members can offer further advice? @MI5 @jonsie et al...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 17

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Sounds like you need customer service to reset your voicemail or maybe your port didn’t complete fully?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I have spoken to customer services and they have told me they've reset my Mailbox. I've dialed 901 and yes, it needed setting up again with a new PIN and greeting etc.

Tried ringing the phone when it's off, does not go to Voicemail. Tried calling 1750 again and still getting the same message as last time. Customer services have said the port is completed fine and that I should go to an O2 store - which I am going to have to do again.

I'm not expecting it to be resolved though, I can imagine I'm going to have to live with this for the rest of the contract slight_frown really starting to regret my decision now.

Thank you again slight_smile

Message 4 of 17

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I doubt the store will help.
You need to keep onto cs or make a complaint to escalate the issue.
https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I coudn't get to a store in time before closure today so I've tried live chat again. Having been passed from queue to queue for almost an hour, I'm hoping that I'm finally getting somewhere:

"I understand, this is the last thing you want to experience when moving to a new network. I am sorry about this and this has become a wide issue with other customers having the same problem - once this goes to our engineers they'll fix this either within 24 hours or within the 3-5 day call back timescale".

How true this is I'm not sure. 

Just waiting for a case reference number now...

Anyway fingers crossed.
Message 6 of 17

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Let's hope so wink

Currently using:
Message 7 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Best of luck with it @Anonymous wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 17

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Have you activated wifi calling? Have you tried deactivating it and then trying 1750? Nothing else I can think of to be honest.

You will get no help from the store and I'm not sure live chat were telling you what you want to hear. I'm afraid only customer service can help you with this and if they can't then a complaint is your other option. Resolver seems to get good results.

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

https://www.resolver.co.uk/freeadvice/companies/o2-complaints/services?odm=300_1_1&utm_source=O2&utm...

Message 9 of 17

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

This sounds promising @Anonymous! I'll see if I can find any info about this issue my end. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 17