cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling Contract?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am giving my 30 days notice to cancel my contract on the 11th Nov., as my contract ends on the 11th Dec.

What happens afterwards? Do I cancel the direct debit from 11th Dec. also?

Plus I want to keep this number but I will be taking out a completely new contract. So how do I do that?
Message 1 of 34
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I didn't know that. When did O2 stop issuing zero bills? How will the OP know if there is anything unpaid if they are moving from O2?

They just stop billing you.....

To the OP, you will need to go into a store with the person who has the contract in their name and transfer it over to your name and bank details, then you can upgrade the contract and you will take over.

The original contract owners DD will cease as soon as you transfer it into your name.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Do not cancel your direct debit until you receive a 0 (Zero) bill from O2. Are you taking out a new contract with O2 or moving to a new provider?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 34

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you are staying with O2 you just need to upgrade your current contract (no need to cancel). If moving from O2 you need to request a PAC from O2 and give it to your new network to move your number across.
O2 do not issue zero bills anymore, but by using your PAC it will immediately end your contract and your last bill will be generated. Once the last bill is paid you can close the DD if moving away from O2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 34

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Good question from Bambino, if you want a new contract with O2 all you have to do is upgrade to a new one and you will keep your number and your old contract will automatically cease.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm confused, lol.

I'm staying with O2, but taking out a new contract in my own name this time.

When can I cancel the direct debit then?
Message 5 of 34

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I didn't know that. When did O2 stop issuing zero bills? How will the OP know if there is anything unpaid if they are moving from O2?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 34

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm staying with O2, but taking out a new contract in my own name this time.

When can I cancel the direct debit then?

Ask O2 to move your existing contract to your name, you will need the original contract owner with you, then upgrade whenever you like.

The direct debit will be adjusted automatically.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 34

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Is the current direct debit in your name? If the current direct debit is not in your name you cannot cancel it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 34

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

They just stop billing you.....

To the OP, you will need to go into a store with the person who has the contract in their name and transfer it over to your name and bank details, then you can upgrade the contract and you will take over.

The original contract owners DD will cease as soon as you transfer it into your name.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
The direct debit is in my name, the contract is in another persons name.

So how will I know when to cancel the direct debit?
Message 10 of 34