Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel pay monthly account without being charged extra

djohn316
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not sure if this is the right place posting this.

So I came to the UK from Australia for 12 months work placement in Jan 2018, I went in on Jan 18th and told them my situation and they sold me a 12 month contract telling me that after I had left to call them up to cancel my service.

I arrived back to Australia 2 days ago and have rung them up, they told me the earilest they could cancel my pay monthly contract would be the 25th/jan/19. But as I signed up on the jan 18th, would'nt that mean I would have to pay for a 13th month which I dont want. I orginally asked for a pay as you go number and they told me they could port my account to pay as you go in 3 businnes days, but when I told them I wouldnt be in the UK they told me it was not an option. 

Pretty much I am paying 25GBP for my contract for this month when ive only used 3 days of it and I really dont want to be forced to pay another 25GBP for another month which I dont want nor am able to use in Australia, in fact this sim wont even be turned on. Do I have any options?

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Hi @djohn316 

Unfortunately, the T&C's state you have to give 30 days notice, so you should have done this on the 18th November to avoid paying the 13th month.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/ba-p/566774

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Hi @djohn316 

Unfortunately, the T&C's state you have to give 30 days notice, so you should have done this on the 18th November to avoid paying the 13th month.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/ba-p/566774

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

djohn316
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks, so there is absolutely nothing I can do? I felt really annoyed about paying for a 12 month considering I used 200mb out of it, but as I thought it was a 12 month contract I thought I had no option. And as I dont see myself coming back to the UK in the forseeable future what would happen if I dont pay the 13th month?

Can you explain to me what the agent meant when they said I could be transferred to pay as you go within 3 days?
Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Some people transfer to a PAYG account to keep the phone number alive but this would not be a benefit to you.
If you chose not to pay, O2 will sell on the debt and a collection agency would chase you for payment. You would also get a negative mark on your credit rating score.
In all honesty, if you don't plan on coming back to the UK, probably not much would effect you, although we would always recommend cancelling contracts in the correct manner.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @djohn316

If you don't pay the 13th month you would have a default placed on your credit file. Eventually they would hand the debt over to debt collectors who would be writing to your last known address in the UK.

As for being transferred to PAYG in 3 days, this generally means when your contract has ended, they can transfer you to a PAYG account.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

djohn316
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, the guy told me he could setup my migration for the 21st of December so should I just go with that?
Message 6 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@djohn316 The salesperson should have explained the cancellation process to you when you took out the contract, but it's obviously too late for that. If you don't pay what you owe, a negative marker will go on your credit rating which will just sit there, and should you ever decide to return to the UK, you won't be able to get credit for anything.

If you pay the 13th month, I believe they can then switch you to Pay and Go and use what you're paying for credit on that account. The number will stay active if you make a chargeable call or send a text every six months, and top up every 999 days. That way you'll still have a service should you ever decide to return to the UK.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 13

djohn316
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can I ask why the CS person told me that he can migrate my account to pay as you go within 3 days and even gave me a date 3 days from now? Thats what I am really confused about.

Message 8 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@djohn316 It's been explained. If you switch to Pay & Go the account will stay active, but you won't have to pay on a monthly basis any longer. If you never intend to use the number again, just don't make a call or send a text, and don't top up. The account will then disappear on its own.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
That's how long it would take but I can't see any benefit to you to do that..

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13