cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help with this tricky situation?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an unusual query I require help with.  I lost my phone and was given a pay as you go SIM by my dad to use.  I used this for a while as it suited my purposes.  

I then decided to get a new phone and went into the store with my partner.  A  contract was taken out in my partners name as we pay all the bills from her account. I asked for the pay as you go number to be transferred so I didnt have to change numbers and was told this would be done within 2 days, which it was and the phone worked fine and payment was taken from my partner's account as agreed and bills sent to our address.

I recieved a phone call a few months ago from O2 marketing but was told half way through the call the number was still registered to my dad,  i advised the number was transferred and was told this should not have been done but has payments were being made was ok.  I have now started having issues with my phone and have called O2 for assistance but told as I cannot answer my dads security questions they could not help me even though I explained the above. 

My issue is how do i go forward and get my phone working and if the phone number is not mine how can a contract be put into my partners name for this number and payments be taken monthly.  For personal reasons I no longer speak with my dad so I am unable to get the security questions, but feel this should not be required as we have a seperate contract. 

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

It does sound like your going to need your father on board to ring o2 customer services to either add you on the account as an authorised person or to transfer it to your name.

o2 will stand by their security measures to protect all involved.

What is wrong with the phone ?

You could get answers here or turn to the manufacturer for assistance.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

It does sound like your going to need your father on board to ring o2 customer services to either add you on the account as an authorised person or to transfer it to your name.

o2 will stand by their security measures to protect all involved.

What is wrong with the phone ?

You could get answers here or turn to the manufacturer for assistance.

Message 2 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If a new contract was taken out in your partner's name they will have their own MyO2 account with a user name and password.

I don't think this was done.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I  am no longer in contact with my dad or  have any contact details for him.  My other concern is we are coming to the end of the contract and I was told by O2 it will roll over as we do not have permission to cancel it even though we signed for it. The only other option we can think of is to cancel the direct debit at the end of the contract as if it  is down as being my dads number and account then my partner should not be paying for it.   

Message 4 of 14

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If you stop the payments the account will go into default and your dad's credit rating affected.

You will also lose the number as it will be disconnected.

If your house address is where your dad lived when the contract was taken out and this is still the contract main address, a poor credit rating could be applied to anyone living in that same property.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd suggest putting the situation in writing to o2.

Here's the e mail link.

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help

Hopefully their reply will put you in the right direction.

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't stop paying the bill until the contract period is up, I still need the phone for obvious reasons but I don't want to lose the number if I can help it.

I was thinking of going into the O2 shop where I bought it along with my receipts etc and have them try and sort this mess out. 

Regards

Message 7 of 14

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I'd suggest putting the situation in writing to o2.

Hopefully their reply will put you in the right direction.

That would mean breaching security and they won't do that.

Message 8 of 14

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't stop paying the bill until the contract period is up, I still need the phone for obvious reasons but I don't want to lose the number if I can help it.

The contract is never up, it will continue as a 30 day contract until you either stop paying or they hear from the account holder.

If you stop the payment you will lose the number.

Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

If O2 are taking the money from our account and not my farther that, you would think, should make us the contract holder, or at least give us some rights to make changes etc? 

Since getting a hold of my dad is not an option and without having security question/password details for the account, I do not see any options other than stopping payments when the contract is up. 

Regards 

Message 10 of 14