Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call From O2 Fraud - No Caller ID

Argus
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Background. I joined O2 a month ago, and PAC'd across my old number.

On Wednesday, I got a call from - allegedly - O2 Fraud which had no caller ID. The caller didn't address me by name. I was told that an attempt had been made to purchase an IPhone XS on my account with a request to send it to London. I live in the Midlands. At this point, I thanked the caller; terminated the call and said that I would contact O2. No personal or account information was given out to the caller. I contacted O2 and I was told that there has been no suspicious activity on my account. I purchased my mobile from E2Save with a credit card deposit; and my old mobile provider was TPO. Only 02 and TPO would know my new number and present network. How might the caller have got my number and network?

I have changed passwords etc on my My O2 account.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93234 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

You've done the right thing in changing passwords. As for how they got your number?

• The call is genuine in which case speak to customer service and ask to speak to the fraud department
  • The call is from one of the many auto-dial fraudsters who ask you account details which you were wary enough not to give
  • Possibly the database has been sold to a third party which seems to be the norm these days no matter how much they deny it.

Personally I would insist on speaking to the fraud department again to put your mind at ease.

Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Argus

Did you also check with your bank re suspicious activity?

All ways of reporting fraudulent activity are here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/fraud-and-phishing-advice

You should certainly report this...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23073 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@Argus You did exactly the right thing. Never agree to, accept anything, or give personal details to any cold caller no matter who they say they're from. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 8

Argus
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did get a text last night from my credit car provider. It would seem that an attempt was made to take a small payment - from SLFEntertainment - along with a request for another credit card. Both attempts were blocked, and my credit card has been cancelled. I will keep an eye on my Bank account. Thanks all.

Message 5 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23073 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

Good job @Argus You should take a look at this link as well: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

Also call customer service and request that a bar be placed on premium rate numbers.

Edit: This site is helpful too: https://payforitsucks.co.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 8

Argus
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have followed all your advice: so thanks for the various links. Apart from a blocked credit card, there hasn't been any other suspicious activity. I will just keep an eye on my various accounts. After speaking to CS about blocking premium numbers and international calls, I have changed all my log in and security details.

Message 7 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Good work @Argus

You should be safe enough for now wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 8