Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brighton kemp town no signal bn2

Sparkybradley
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 41 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
No or week signal in kemp town due to The mast in the royal Sussex county hospital has been removed in readiness for a helicopter pad no new mast has been installed in the area to maintain coverage this was switched off on the 25th march 2013 O2 don't appear to have a solution yet in signal any ware in the hospital and very week outside and surrounding area phone is needed for work so no point being on O2 now as all I get all day is no network or searching so get a load of texts and voicemails when I go home
Message 1 of 173
172 REPLIES 172

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

If business customers are affected(on a business tariff) ask about boost box for your house as long as you have broadband. (I know they still do them as was offered one on Wednesday)

And ask them to waive the fee for it until a mast is replaced and then ask them to take it back.

Has anybody disabled 3g to see if you still can get a 2g signal?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 41 of 173

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do confirm that there's not difference between 2g and 3g signal: Still the same problems

I work in the BSCH and before I had signal 3G (sometimes even fast data conexion) inside the toilets(most hidden and separate place).

But since the removed the mast there's no signal AT ALL in the East part (even if you are close to the window)  In the west part you got some signal but Data conexion is really slow.

In my original country when there's a problem of conexion like this they place a lorry-truck with a mast for a while, till problems are fixed. I don't know why o2 doesn't do that, specially when lots of contracts are in risk to leave.

Message 42 of 173

Sparkybradley
  • 41 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I would estimate several hundred in the hospital Alone everywhere you go in the hospital there are people complaining about it that's without the surrounding area
Message 43 of 173

gasman2
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Virtually no signal in RSCH - occasionally one bar. This is a safety issue - who carries a bleep any more. 95% of my phone usage is in the hospital. My contract (on a domestic tariff) has over a year to run, so I am really stuck, unless someone knows how I can get out of it. All I have been offered is a rebate on my monthly payment. 

Replies from O2 have been just about as useful as "your call is important to us". Live chat and complaintreviewservice by email and telephone had no useful information. Local store only knows that the mast at "Brighton Pier" has been decommissioned. 

I have tried O2 TUGo. As the reviews state, it is completely useless. 

There has been one mention in this thread of a planning appeal regarding a replacement mast. Does anyone know anything more about it? 

There has been talk of a helipad at RSCH for 25 years. I understand that the wind precludes building on the tower. Don't know if 3Ts has it in the plan, but any such thing is years away. 

So if the antennae were on the tower, then why not just put them back there until an alternative has been commissioned. 

Message 44 of 173

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@gasman2

The helipad is going on the 18th floor of the tower acording to the plans i looked at .

According to other posts the site of the appeal will not help the hospital.

All info is on the brighton and hove website.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 45 of 173

gasman2
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Information obtained today from a reliable source - mast on top of the tower was decommissioned two weeks ago. There was supposed to be a replacement sited at Sussex House, but this has not happened. Don't know why. 

Also heard a rumour that a mast at the marina has gone down and requires planning permission to be replaced. 

I have spoken to chap at the Council planning dept. He says that he has not received any applications for new masts. However that may not be required under permitted development. 

It seems to me that someone (?NHS ?O2) has jumped the gun decommissioning the mast on the tower. Despite the artist's impression on the 3Ts site of a helipad on the tower, I will eat my hat if that ever happens. 

I have been unable to get any information from O2 about replacement plans or time frame, and they will make no effort on my behalf to obtain that information or refer me on to their engineering dept. However I do have another contractor's phone number which I will try again tomorrow. 

But I have scored a reduction in my monthly charge!

Message 46 of 173

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been fobbed off for weeks now by 02 claiming this issue in Kemp Town would "be resolved by 5pm tonight" each time. To stumble on this thread & find out the truth has just enraged me. I live & work in Kemp Town & get no signal at all in my flat or in the office! Just started a new contract too. Whether 02 'decide' to 'allow' me leave or not I'm cancelling my direct debit anyway. The issue with the mast may not be their fault but blatantly lying to their customers is. Furious. Don't want to leave either but have no choice as this clearly isn't going to be resolved any time soon. I do free lance work from home & this has already caused me considerable hassle. My girlfriend is also on 02 so that's another 2 customers you've lost. It beggars belief that a reputable company has no back up plan in this scenario & reverts to childish disinformation in the face of questioning, like the problems just going to go away.
Message 47 of 173

Anonymous
Not applicable

This was sent to all hospital staff today.....

There is a current problem with O2 mobile coverage in RSCH and the surrounding areas. This does not affect Trust mobile phones or bleeps.

The Trust are currently in discussions with O2 about ways to speed up the return of signal coverage to the hospital. We do not yet have a date for when this will be possible.

The problem was caused by O2 taking down the mast on top of the Thomas Kemp Tower. In September 2011 they were given eighteen months notice by the Trust of the need to remove it. When O2 cleared the mast they did not inform the Trust of any problems this would cause with coverage.

Message 48 of 173

Anonymous
Not applicable
So, I chatted with customer service today. they are aware of the problem in the BN2 area and are willing to refund Pay Monthly customers for the length of time the signal has been poor (from the 25th March) until it is fixed.

I was assured by customer services that engineers are dealing with this problem - and a new mast is to be installed in the area by this coming Friday (12th April).

It remains to be seen whether this is true or not though...
Message 49 of 173

Sparkybradley
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 41 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I hope O2 will have a new mast in place by Friday although I don't see how they could get one in place that quickly as 18 months notice clearly was not enough they could of done some test shutdowns to see what the impact on the area would be clearly a total blackout is not doing anybody any favours
Message 50 of 173