cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling 3G Coverage

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have recently renewed my o2 contract for a further 2 years (which I am now seriously regretting) and have noticed the 3G coverage is utterly appalling. To be honest it has always been poor but my patience is running thin. I also requested 1GB of data as part of my new contract - pointless.

Does anybody else have this problem?

In an age where the majority of mobile phone use is spent online a networks 3G coverage should be vital.

My friends that hold contracts with other networks, notably '3', do not have this issue. In fact most of them have 3G even in the most remote areas.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fyi I am currently talking at length with the Advertising Standards Authority regarding o2's coverage checker.

O2 have been forced to change it once already and I haven't given up yet. Stating good indoor and outdoor coverage is Crystal clear. To then say later that the Coverage Checker is for outdoor coverage only isn't good enough.

O2's signal had deteriorated over the last few months but they seem either oblivious to it or don't care. I don't know which. But their Chief Executive Ronan Dunne is aware as he said publicly that 4g was definitely not the reason for signal worsening. He didn't say what the problem was.

You can read into that what you want. ...
Message 41 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

No network guarantees indoor coverage?! A neat get out to cover the fact that usage and need are oustripping the technology to provide it. Yet phone companies continue to sell contracts which they MUST know will not perform to their specs.

Message 42 of 49

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Ofcom sold an obligation lot as part of the 4g auction that has an indoor coverage obligation of 98% of population at 2g 3g and 4g by end 2017 O2 bought that lot and are going to comply by end 2015 http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/02/20/ofcom-announces-winners-of-the-4g-mobile-auction/ and http://www.o2.co.uk/network/future

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 43 of 49

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Where I live and work 3G is useless always dropping call's so always had it switched off for the last 4 years, however I have just made a big mistake and upgraded to iPhone 6, where the option is 4G on or off, so off drops to 3G and both are not capable of holding a voice call.

In the last 3 days I've had 12 dropped calls, however when I had no 4G and 3G switched off I cannot remember the last dropped call.

Speaking to O2 all they ever say is we are showing good coverage for your area, well if that's the case why all the droppded calls.

With the iPhone 5 I still have with 3G off it's solid no dropped calls, so it's 3G and 4G, moving back to the 5 and selling 6 seems the only option.

Message 44 of 49

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 45 of 49

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
As O2 are still convinced they have made the best decision for all it's customers, you have no other choice, unfortunately, except of course an android or windows phone wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 46 of 49

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
As O2 are still convinced they have made the best decision for all it's customers, you have no other choice, unfortunately, except of course an android or windows phone wink

I didn't like to say 😉

Message 47 of 49

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
In fairness I should also mention BB, but it would have to be purchased elsewhere......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 48 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 for whatever reason just will not accept publicly that their network can't cope. Why oh why.

Then they take on hundreds of thousands of new customers in one hit.

But overall o2 are growing with 319k added in the last quarter alone.
Message 49 of 49