cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling 3G Coverage

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have recently renewed my o2 contract for a further 2 years (which I am now seriously regretting) and have noticed the 3G coverage is utterly appalling. To be honest it has always been poor but my patience is running thin. I also requested 1GB of data as part of my new contract - pointless.

Does anybody else have this problem?

In an age where the majority of mobile phone use is spent online a networks 3G coverage should be vital.

My friends that hold contracts with other networks, notably '3', do not have this issue. In fact most of them have 3G even in the most remote areas.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in North Nottinghamshire and unless I am in a big town my Internet access is pathetic, I have travelled all round Europe and O2 is the worst. I will never renew with them again

Message 2 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in Aberdeenshire and I have exactly that problem. Unless I am dead centre in the middle of town I will not have sufficient coverage. My office is 2 miles from the town centre and I have literally no 3G coverage at the moment. In fact, I have that 'E' displayed whatever that means.

Message 3 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I live in Aberdeenshire and I have exactly that problem. Unless I am dead centre in the middle of town I will not have sufficient coverage. My office is 2 miles from the town centre and I have literally no 3G coverage at the moment. In fact, I have that 'E' displayed whatever that means.

Edge is enhance GPRS so you do have some sort of data connection just not 3G.

I work in the City of London and it's not exactly perfect here either, no network is perfect everywhere.

You mentioned Three and that your friends have no problems with it, i also have a contract with Three and it's useless round this area and useless where i live, swings and roundabouts.

Message 4 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here. Just switched from EE on an iphone4 to O2 on an iphone5.

I tried the iphone 4 first on O2 for a while and it was slightly worse 3G coverage and speed than on EE. At first, for the first 3 weeks the iphone5 was OK, holding 3 bars and 3G coverage, I could strem youtube, radio, no problem.

now it's dropping onto EDGE or GPRS all the time with next to no 3G coverage, and even when I do have it speeds are around the 300kbps mark.

Diabilocal. I've complained several times to customer services and gethe same old guff every time. "you're in a weak signal area", then next time it's "it's the handset". take the sim card out etc etc.

rubbish, it just doesn't work, it's not suitable for a smartphone at all. I'd paid extra for 4gb of data but I've just cancelled it and dropeed back to 2G as I can hardly use any of it.

Message 5 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why did you change when it was worst then EE at best?
Message 6 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

You mention it's swings and roundabouts however, I don't understand how a network provider can promise you 3G coverage in your area, draw up the contract and provide Edge? Edge sucks, so don't even try to sell it to me. It isn't what I asked for and I certainly won't be renuing my contract with o2.

Message 7 of 49

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

have you checked the service status for the exact postcode? http://status.o2.co.uk what do the different types of 2g 3g and 3g 900 say in bars?

Rember the coverage checker is only an indication and at present no network gurantees indoor coverage.

O2 have to provide 98% by population indoor coverage on 2g 3g and 4g by end 2017 (coverage obligation lot) but will be doing it by end 2015.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You mention it's swings and roundabouts however, I don't understand how a network provider can promise you 3G coverage in your area, draw up the contract and provide Edge? Edge sucks, so don't even try to sell it to me. It isn't what I asked for and I certainly won't be renuing my contract with o2.

You're not going to get 100% 3G coverage everywhere, i doubt you was promised that.

I'm not trying to sell you anything i was merely telling you what the E stood for as you clearly didn't!!

Lastly you should've gone to Three if it's so good in your area like you said, schoolboy error on your part.

Message 9 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there actually any point in complaining on here? I've been complaining for ages about O2's data coverage and regret renewing my contract. EE is way superior and usually better and sometimes the same as O2. It's never worse. Do O2 actually read these messages? If they do, when are things going to improve? How did they get so far behind anyway? Never mind 4G - give us a decent 3G service - EVERYWHERE!

Message 10 of 49