cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another post about upgrading through CPW..

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello and welcome to my biennial post about upgrades grin

It's that time again, tomorrow is upgrade day and I was all set to go in store to (try to) upgrade my s3 for the s5 until I started doing the dreaded online search! I have seen soem cracking deals on the Carphone Warehouse website for o2, including a "free gift" of a Samsung tablet, this is very appealing to me as I would really like a tablet! Unfortunately due to my years of lurking on the o2 forums the words Carphone and Warehouse together set off alarm bells in my head. So are they really as bad as they used to be? I understand that I will still be contracted to o2 so that should be realtively straight forward (subject to passing the bleeding credit checks, that I somehow failed last time I tried to switch providers, the fear!) but do the cons outway the pros?

Last time I ended up upgrading through Tesco and got a great deal, but I can't see any o2 phones on their website any more and I really would like the tablet haha.

Also I've just got an NUS card in the hopes of getting the discounted airtime plan with my upgrade, does anyone know if this would this still be available with an upgrade through CPW?

Thanks in advance! grin
Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93982 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

You should have no problems in upgrading via CPW, they seem to be much better than they once were. I would always go for the best deal within reason. A free tablet is not to be sniffed at.

I'm not sure about whether the discount you are entitled to is available through a 3rd party, you would have to query that with customer service.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry for the typos! It's hard to see when you only get 3 lines of a text box on a mobile device!
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cpw are fine in my dealings and the freebie sounds nice.

It's a shame they cannot offer refresh deals tbh.
As your on a running contract I don't think a credit check will be performed and a song as you've been paying your bills on time all should be good to go.

Happy shopping. slight_smile
Message 3 of 16

jonsie
  • 93982 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

You should have no problems in upgrading via CPW, they seem to be much better than they once were. I would always go for the best deal within reason. A free tablet is not to be sniffed at.

I'm not sure about whether the discount you are entitled to is available through a 3rd party, you would have to query that with customer service.

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies!!! Oh that's great news about no credit check, it terrifies me! Last time my contract was due up I tried to switch to T-Mobile and failed to online credit check but I really can't understand why as I always pay bills on time and have no debt etc.. maybe I should try Experian!!

As far as the refresh goes I don't think that's actually something I would utilise personally anyway, I'm still relatively happy with my s3 now, although it could do with a factory reset to get rid of the lag.. my old HTC Desire which I thought was fit for binning 2 years ago is actually still running after 4 years (gave it to other half) I agree it is a shame they don't offer it for others though!

Just a thought without the refresh I'm unsure that I could get the discount which may tip it in favour of upgrading through o2.. but no snazzy tablet 😞 I'll be sure to try customer service 🙂
Message 5 of 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13536 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Upgrading to same network will not require a credit check but switching to different network will.
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're most welcome.

slight_smile

Enjoy the experience and ask lots of questions in the shop and allow plenty of time to have a play with the demo phone models.

Let us know how you get in please and welcome to the forum.
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you know I've never actually got to play with a demo phone!

And thanks for the welcome but I've actually been here since the days of the LG Chocolate, ahhh! Just dormant wink

Anyhow, I've just done a live chat and it's fantastic news if I've been given the correct info! I would still get a student discount and since they indeed do not offer the refresh tariffs........ it would be 30% off the whole monthly cost!!!!! wow!
Message 8 of 16

jonsie
  • 93982 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just me being polite.

I always have a go with a demo phone or friends model etc before parting with my cash so I know I like it.

Glad you got the deal you were after.

Awesome.

slight_smile
Message 10 of 16