Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g - Making Calls - Do they work?

xma1e_
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 50 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I used to be on O2 Simplicity but switched to EE for 4G. However EE4G is great for data but pretty naff for making calls. I get so many complaints these days because my phone won't pick up calls even with full bars. It's the EE network and finally flagged up on BBC Watchdog.

I am seriously considering coming back to O2 because calls were excellent they just lacked decent phones and 4G, this seems to have changed. Has anyone had problems making call on O2 4G, particularly dropped calls?

Thanks

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Steve3948
Level 1: Joiner
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well all I can say is in my area 3G/4G is absolute rubbish and in the areas I work the same.

With my iPhone 5 the answer was easy turn off 3G until I wanted data, however since changing to the iPhone 6 I am now stuck with 3G/4G, turn 4G off and it drops back to 3G, both pants.

Today I have had 9 dropped calls, with the iPhone 5 and 3G off I cannot remember the last time it dropped a call.

I am considering getting rid of the 6 and going back to the 5, at least I can use it as a phone.

3G/4G is great for the data but of no use if it affects voice.

Message 11 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a real shame you're having to consider having to back a generation in hardware 😞

Come on O2 please let's have the 3G toggle back for iPhone owners on 4G tariffs.
Message 12 of 21

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well I was hoping 8.1.1 would be the answer to the lack of a 3G toggle but alas no, it's the same so t seems all the posts across many forums made no impact, and all O2 say is install Tu Go, well tried that and no thanks.

This iPhone 6 is proving to be a step back not forward.

Message 13 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
No it was a bug fix from Apple.

The toggle we want is via a Carrier Update from O2.

To add : it's not the iOS software or hardware but the carrier update that's the step still needed to be taken.
Message 14 of 21

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
O2 deny this is their problem
Message 15 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144753 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions
O2 blame Apple and Apple blame O2 so the only thing we know for sure is that it won't be fixed anytime soon......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 21

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Spent ages talking with O2 again yesterday as the frequant dropped calls and now I'm getting voice mails more than ever because my phone does not even ring, this has never been an issue when I could select 2G when at home. Anyway they still maintain it's an Apple issue.

What I find really odd is I also have PAYG iPhone 5 with ios 8.1 which has the 2G/3G toggle with carrier setting 18.0.

My iPhone 6 with ios 8.1.1 with just 4G toggle option but still carrier 18.0.

The 5 has full bars set on 2G, the 6 has 1 bar set on 4G on or off 3G.

Putting the PAYG sim in the 6 made no difference at all, but both 5 & 6 use carrier setting 18.

So decided to call Apple, who say you need to take this up with your carrier, only they can sort this.

My thoughts are O2 instructed Apple to remove the 2G option, and I can only assume the reason is to remove the load for the 2G network, and they are sticking to their guns.

I'm thinking of returning my iPhone 6 under the sale of goods act, as its called an iPhone and cannot be used as a phone.

Go back to using my 5 which at least works as a phone.

Message 17 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Totally agree with what your saying and as I've also documented I've spoken with apple a couple of times and it's the carrier file which needs updating which is sanctioned by O2.

The iPhone 5 will probably still have the toggle as it does not have the frequency bands to recognise o2's 4G spectrum.

I'm not so sure about your thoughts on the iPhone 6 and sales of goods act. I'm no armchair lawyer but I would have thought the iPhone 6 does what is has been sold and described to do.

This is as we know more to do with the carrier file.
Message 18 of 21

Steve3948
  • 23 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I now have 2G 3G 4G toggle, so I now have 4 dots on 2G and not 1 dot on 3G.

I had to take a route I did not want to, but with O2 insisting it could not be done, well jog on.

Message 19 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144753 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions
Sometimes you just gotta do it wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 21