Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G in Belfast

Nisky
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Getting a 4G signal in Belfast  (BT4) Stormont area. Hope it's not just for the Giro D'Italia to fool the visiting media.

Message 1 of 84
83 REPLIES 83

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 That Status Checker is away with the fairies methinks.  It says no 4G in this area or in Belfast  - yet we have customers reporting to the Community how good the 4G is in both places.

Furthermore the Status Checker is still reporting " Sorry we are experiencing high service demand in this area

A mast close to your location is experiencing a high level of demand for service. This can cause intermittent service for calls, texts and data. We’re working to improve it as quickly as we can. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Updated 21:00 (refreshed hourly).  
It has been saying that for weeks now.  The high demand is probably caused by frustrated customers trying to contact O2 to find out when the bleeping thing will be fixed.

Gerry 
Message 51 of 84

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Ahhh, I'm guessing it's still not fully up and running 100% then yet.....
Maybe try a walk around the area tomorrow and see if it pops up anywhere slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 52 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

On mine I have LTE/4G/3G/2G as the option so not sure why yours is different. Mine came from CPW and was sim free, yours I guess is locked to o2. Shouldn't make a difference though.
Message 53 of 84

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
It will be an O2 ROM, I would guess and they have chosen to name it that way - Maybe it's consistency across all o2 branded ROM's.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 54 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes @Anonymous I got mine direct from O2 (ordered online) and it is locked to O2.  I think the SIM is probably Ok as I have had a few fleeting sightings of 4g but they have been few in number and not very stable.  I will, as suggested earlier, have a wander round the the town to see if I can identify any 4G "hot spots".

Thanks again for all your help.

Gerry

Message 55 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  Wowee! and again I say WOW!!!    Was visiting a friend in another part of the town tonight - someone who has neither a mobile phone nor a computer.  I said I woudl look something up in Google for her - and to my astonishment and delight noticed the 4G icon in the status bar.  I then did a speedtest and recorded download of 48.52 Mbps and upload of 22.88Mbps  (my usual speeds on wifi at home ae 49 and 16 respectively.)

Of course when i returned home the 4G has disappeared, but at keast I know now that my phone can cope with 4G and it has arrived in the general area.

So no more groaning and griping from me on this subject - promise.

Gerry

Message 56 of 84

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
It had to be a location related issue. Glad you're sorted slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 57 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes indeed @MI5 The area where I got the signal is slightly more elevated than where I live.
Message 58 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable
Great news @Gerry. Now you know your phone is 4g ready so whenever you go into 4g covered areas your phone should pick up fast signal.

The temptation to do speed tests is immense but please be aware some speed tests can use between 50mb and 100mb of data each time.

Don't want you running out of 4g data now do we? ?? ☺
Message 59 of 84

Markojemo
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 52 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What area did you get the 4G in Gerry? Still nothing in north, south belfast or city centre

Message 60 of 84