Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G in Belfast

Nisky
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Getting a 4G signal in Belfast  (BT4) Stormont area. Hope it's not just for the Giro D'Italia to fool the visiting media.

Message 1 of 84
83 REPLIES 83

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The temptation to do speed tests is immense but please be aware some speed tests can use between 50mb and 100mb of data each time. Don't want you running out of 4g data now do we? ?? ☺

That is a very useful warning indeed @Anonymous and thank you for it.  I have just had a look at My O2 and  my data usage for the few moments I had on 4G last evening (including the speed test was over 120mb.  I will be more wary in future!!

GGGGerry

Message 61 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Markojemo wrote:

What area did you get the 4G in Gerry? Still nothing in north, south belfast or city centre

Hi @Markojemo and first an apology.  I know the subject title mentions Belfast - but I live in Lisburn area.  I got the 4G signal in the Pond Park/Ballymacash area of the town (ooops! City) last night, but have not yet received it in the Hillsborough Road/ Sprucefield area.   Nor could I get in East Belfast (Stormont/Dundonal area) when I was over there last week).

Gerry

Message 62 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE 27 June 2014:

Just returned from Lisburn town centre (which at present looks like a cross between a war zone and slum clearance building site) - and am happy to report that my trusty Galaxy S4 was picking up a strong 4G signal near the junction of Railway Street and Castle Street.

If I may borrow a saying from a totally unrelated field O2's mill may grind slowly but it grinds surely (I hope).

Gerry

Message 63 of 84

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 64 of 84

Markojemo
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 52 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

got the 4G signal this morning, went onto the coverage map and its all been updated, belfast has 4G Bouncy

Message 65 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Markojemo wrote:

got the 4G signal this morning, went onto the coverage map and its all been updated, belfast has 4G Bouncy

Wouldn't you just know it.  I checked the 4G coverage map for my postal address and although I live less than half a mile from nearest O2 mast  the 4G signal around my immediate environs is apparently is not good.  WHy would that be.  There are a few trees and densely leafy bushes bordering the river  between my house and the mast. Would that be sufficient to block the 4G signal?  

GGGerry

Message 66 of 84

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good news indeed @jonsie but disappointing that after spending £15 million O2 still can't manage to get a 4g signal to a customer residing less than one half mile from an O2 mast.

GGGerry
(3G Gerry)
Message 68 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is an indication of part of the 4G coverage In Lisburn

4G Map.JPG

Why are the areas where reception is below par so oddly shaped?  Do electromagnetic waves really behave in such ways?   I needly hardly say I live in a non-blue area!

Gerry

Message 69 of 84

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
To understand accurately you would need to see elevation included in the map.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 70 of 84