cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£433 charged for no reason

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok so I checked my bank account and o2 have taken £433.33 out of my account. Upon checking my bill there were no additional charges, no data no calls no texts. I've called and they have said I've been accidentally been charged a disconnection fee even though I've not enquired about it. They have admitted fault.
What can I do about it? I've re called my direct debit but it won't be credited until Wednesday as its a weekend.
It's left me with no money for my bills etc
Can I look for compensation? It's a lot to f money and a big mistake made.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

They send you a email when the bill is produced. Whether you view it or not as advised before the DD is taken isn't within their control. Perhaps if the amount was included on the bill this sort of mix up would be less likely to have to be sorted when incorrect charges have already been taken.

Message 11 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122829 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@Cleoriff the first post states that the notfied amount did not include the cancelation fee so the op had advance notice of the amount and was happy to pay that, not the additional £433 not notified in advance hence immediate refund, error by o2

Yes @adamtemp64 I agree. (on re-reading the OP's first post) They were charged for a disconnection fee in error. That part should, of course, be refunded immediately. I suspect therein lies the difficulty...(refunding 'part' of a bill) slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 16

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
if the OP has checked their bill and the amount shown on the bill does not show the disconnection charge then both O2 and the bank can be required to return the funds, the bank may cover the short term until O2 return the funds at which point the bank will take their back.

If however the OPs bill did show the disconnection charge then only O2 can be held liable as the bank would determine the amount taken to be correct.

Should the OP go into an over-draught of have unpaid bills returned these should be forwarded to O2 to have the fees and charges covered.

The majority of large companies will have the ability to provide refunds immediately however the issue will be that these methods cost O2 to use (usually around £20 per transaction) and they will be reluctant to do this unless forced.
Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

To clear a few things up this is whats happened..

I initially had two contracts with o2. I came into a bit of money and decided to end the cheaper one by paying £330. I called to do so and they also merged the old number to my new account which im now using. No problems at all. I didnt know about the £433 charge until this Saturday when it got took from my account. I didnt recieve an email or bill for it and the reason is because the account is closed.

Who ever actioned this did not take off the termination fee in relation to line rental and it processed as owing so they took it.

My problem is i reported it on Saturday to the bank, but because the DD is due out Monday technically (even though the funds have left my account) i couldnt claim it back via reversal until today. I have since called the bank and actioned this but i will not see the funds until Wednesday. So this has left me with no money in bank for fuel, gas, electric and my council tax which is due out the 28th. I have a baby we need to feed too on Sunday. I've had to see if i can lend money from people, which i hate doing.

In my first message i stated that o2 offered me £60 credit on future bills which i declined and have taken it ronan dunne at CEO office. Is this fair? I don't see how im being unreasonable to be honest. Its alot of money taken from me, which i havent authorised at any point.

Message 14 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122829 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous You are not being unreasonable. O2 made a mess of this. Not sure if our community manager @Toby could help...as you seem to be in a desperate plight through no fault of your own slight_frown

Although to be fair even if Toby did get involved I doubt you would see anything back in your account before Wednesday which is what you are currently expecting....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest i have resigned myself to the fact nothing will be done by Wednesday. I want someone to take ownership and responsability instead of chasing myself 6 times and nothing being done.

An apology and a decent level of customer service would of been nice but i think its gone past that now.

Message 16 of 16