cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G to 4G

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I'm going to upgrade from my iPhone 4S to an iPhone 5S. I'm currently on 3G and will upgrade to 4G at the same time.

My questions is – will I need a new sim card for the 4G functionality? If so, will that get delivered with the handset? Also, if I do need a new sim card does that slow down the delivery of the handset?

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, you will need a 4G SIM which should come with the phone. They have been available for a while now for contract phones so no reason for any delay.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, you will need a 4G SIM which should come with the phone. They have been available for a while now for contract phones so no reason for any delay.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great thanks. I'm keeping my number (it's an upgrade, I'm not a new customer) does that affect anything?

I'm only asking because I did the upgrade online today and I'm getting it delivered to work where I will be tomorrow (the handset is in stock). Saturday however, I obviously won't be here and don't want it delivered here when the office is shut!

(I did the upgrade online before 4pm like it says you need to do for next day delivery before anyone asks...)

Message 3 of 8

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

You can pick up a 4G SIM from any O2 shop  but as it's a nano SIM you won't be able to use it in your 4S (ie do the SIM Swap) unless you get an adapter.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 4 of 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

My questions is – will I need a new sim card for the 4G functionality?

And a 4G tariff of course.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well yes, that is a given. I picked a 4G tariff when I upgraded...

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Great thanks. I'm keeping my number (it's an upgrade, I'm not a new customer) does that affect anything?

I've always had a new sim with each upgrade but as stated, if you don't get one, for some reason, you can always get one in store and they will do the sim swap for you while you wait....

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Well yes, that is a given. I picked a 4G tariff when I upgraded...

Many posters thought they only needed the 4G sim, that's why I checked, glad you've done it right.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 8