cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expiring Contract - Automatic price Increase?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So a couple of days ago I had a gentleman from o2 phone me and let me know my contract is coming to an end.
It's a 12 month sim only contract for £20 with Unlimited texts, Unlimited calls and 1gb data. When I told him that I was going to go into store to sort it out he got rather aggresive with me. He told me that if I didnt upgrade it would change my bill to £31 and kept asking 'Is this okay with you?'
Being cautious of not verbally agreeing a new deal, I again said I wiould visit the store. This same exchange happened 3 or 4 times before I had to just had to say goodbye and hang up. 
My previous experience is that the contract continues/rolls over until I provide 30 days notice (although this has always been a 24month phone and sim contract)
So my question is - Can they actually just increase my bill or was he just trying to scare me into taking a new contract?  Cheers for you help
James

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I can only find this as an O2 number, I'll ask the community staff to check this out.

You can check your account in MyO2 online at any time.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Scare tactics and pretty vile ones too. These are often 3rd parties trying to force you to upgrade so it's best just to hang up and not engage in any conversation at all with them....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have caller blocking facilities then add that incoming call number to it.

Atrocious some of the tactics and sales pitches these companies use.

Check in your myo2 preferences to turn off being contacted and write to o2 to remove yourself from 3rd party companies if you don't want these types of calls.
Message 3 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Any contract just becomes a 30 day rolling contract at the end of the minimum term with no change to monthly fee (except refresh which drops to line rental only)

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 9

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

So my question is - Can they actually just increase my bill or was he just trying to scare me into taking a new contract?

No they can't legally, but if they were an O2 Partner (possible) you should check to make sure that nothing in your MyO2 account has been changed.

Did you manage to get the number they were using to call you?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I will pop into the store just round the corner when I finish work just to check nothing been changed.

And yes I did get the number

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure it'll be fine but it can't harm to set your mind at rest.

Message 7 of 9

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I can only find this as an O2 number, I'll ask the community staff to check this out.

You can check your account in MyO2 online at any time.

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
If it was o2 then that would be disappointing that such an aggressive call would be made.

I'd be making a complaint.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref%28user%29:str%28Rel...
Message 9 of 9