cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Data allowance policy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Just a quick message to let you know that O2 have changed their policy when you use up your data allowance.

Under the old system once you had used up your allowance, I believe your connection would be throttled to 15kbps. With effect from the 11th November, if you use up your allowance then you can not use your data connection at all until your next bill date unless you buy more data.

This change has caught me out, so I thought it best to warn other customers. Please note the FAQ's on the mobile website (m.o2.co.uk/support/paymonthly/usealldata) still suggest your data connection will be slowed - from experience I can confirm this does not happen!

Edit - I received this information from Raj on O2 customer support via O2 chat - he said that they will be updating their website shortly as I explained the current site still refers to data being slowed down. I only spotted the change and queried it because I received the following message when connecting to the bbc website from a redirect to www.o2.co.uk/data-allowance

Message 1 of 55
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

There are no changes since the march 2012 terms. Just o2 imposing one of the conditions number 5 I have bold and underlined it http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-tariff-terms

Data Bolt On for iPhone, BlackBerry or Smartphone Terms

1. Data Bolt On for iPhone, BlackBerry or Smartphone will allow you use of our data network via your mobile phone (internet capable phones only). The relevant Bolt On includes a specified monthly data allowance. If you exceed the Bolt On's monthly allowance or breach these terms, we reserve the right to:             
    • impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed;
    • remove the Bolt On from your account;
    • impose further charges;
    • disconnect your SIM Card at any time, having attempted to contact you first; and/or
    • remove your ability to use data on your SIM Card.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

Just a quick message to let you know that O2 have changed their policy when you use up your data allowance.

Under the old system once you had used up your allowance, I believe your connection would be throttled to 15kbps. With effect from the 11th November, if you use up your allowance then you can not use your data connection at all until your next bill date unless you buy more data.

This change has caught me out, so I thought it best to warn other customers. Please note the FAQ's on the mobile website (m.o2.co.uk/support/paymonthly/usealldata) still suggest your data connection will be slowed - from experience I can confirm this does not happen!

Hi,

Link to this info please ?

Message 2 of 55

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147156 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28297 Solutions
Has this been confirmed officially from O2?
The connection is usually so slow it's unusable anyway.......?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've edited my post to explain a bit more.

Message 4 of 55

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147156 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28297 Solutions
Ok, thanks for that....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 55

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Coming from O2 chat I would take this with an incredible pinch of salt. Although I'm on the 8GB plan so I'm not too worried anyway as my useage doesn't come close to this

Message 6 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
More cutbacks but I guess when you've used your data you've used it
Message 7 of 55

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Well the new link will help explain but will this be a material change to the t&c.

Not that it affects me as only use approx 300-400 mb max a month.

(and when the 5s arrives and new tariff kicks in it will be hard to get to use my 8GB a month over 2g)
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wondering if o2 would try to charge the £1 per day Web Daily style fee ?

Message 9 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
To be honest I think it's quite fair they don't charge you when you go over your data
Message 10 of 55