cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Data allowance policy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Just a quick message to let you know that O2 have changed their policy when you use up your data allowance.

Under the old system once you had used up your allowance, I believe your connection would be throttled to 15kbps. With effect from the 11th November, if you use up your allowance then you can not use your data connection at all until your next bill date unless you buy more data.

This change has caught me out, so I thought it best to warn other customers. Please note the FAQ's on the mobile website (m.o2.co.uk/support/paymonthly/usealldata) still suggest your data connection will be slowed - from experience I can confirm this does not happen!

Edit - I received this information from Raj on O2 customer support via O2 chat - he said that they will be updating their website shortly as I explained the current site still refers to data being slowed down. I only spotted the change and queried it because I received the following message when connecting to the bbc website from a redirect to www.o2.co.uk/data-allowance

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@bob no they have gone from clause 1 to clause 5

They could have gone to clause 3 and start charging for the extra data used.

In my opinion it also clears up the issue of when you bought an extra bolton they clawed back the data used at snails pace.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 21 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think its going to be confusing on what to advise any OP posting asking what would happen if they exhaust their Monthly tariff allowance, if O2 switch between several options open to them.

slight_frown

Message 22 of 55

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@bob o2 have only ever used clause 1 until now so now the advice is clear it will just stop.

But o2 did cover there backs and did not have  to give 30 days notice of this change as it already existed in the t&c

and the support help page makes it clear

Demystifying Data

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 23 of 55

bexinthecity
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Yet another reason to hate o2. If I had known this BEFORE I upgraded, I probably wouldn't have continued with o2.

Love the fact I've been with them for almost 7 years and people on here have been with them for longer yet this is how we are treated.

Message 24 of 55

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@bexinthecity wrote:

Yet another reason to hate o2. If I had known this BEFORE I upgraded, I probably wouldn't have continued with o2.

Love the fact I've been with them for almost 7 years and people on here have been with them for longer yet this is how we are treated.

How is it possible to hate a company?

Because they are now only supplying what you have paid for and nothing free?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 25 of 55

bexinthecity
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Okay maybe hate is a strong word but I dislike o2 and their practices.

They have not got very good customer service and this is just another thing to add to the pile.

It has been 11 days since this practice has supposedly been put in place but yet this is the first I've heard of it. I get they don't have to give 30 days notice but wouldn't it be nice to be told things without finding out by being charged or that you are suddenly no longer able to connect.

It doesn't cost to let your customers know. And I have called O2 about a dozen times in the last week and have not been once informed of this change.

Message 26 of 55

jonsie
  • 93348 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6986 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is strange that a change of Clause has been implemented and no official notification.
Message 28 of 55

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

why do they need to notify when it is already in the current T&C.

I do not personally think o2 need to.

If thay had amended the T&C then yes notification required.

Apple Watch series 4

Message 29 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
Courtesy comes to mind.

Their business is all about communication wink
Message 30 of 55