cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Data allowance policy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Just a quick message to let you know that O2 have changed their policy when you use up your data allowance.

Under the old system once you had used up your allowance, I believe your connection would be throttled to 15kbps. With effect from the 11th November, if you use up your allowance then you can not use your data connection at all until your next bill date unless you buy more data.

This change has caught me out, so I thought it best to warn other customers. Please note the FAQ's on the mobile website (m.o2.co.uk/support/paymonthly/usealldata) still suggest your data connection will be slowed - from experience I can confirm this does not happen!

Edit - I received this information from Raj on O2 customer support via O2 chat - he said that they will be updating their website shortly as I explained the current site still refers to data being slowed down. I only spotted the change and queried it because I received the following message when connecting to the bbc website from a redirect to www.o2.co.uk/data-allowance

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
The best route is to make your concerns official then via the complaint route.

I do get the situation.

I signed up to the terms and conditions when I became a customer.
Message 51 of 55

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147251 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28301 Solutions
Aren't your T&C's different though bob, as you are PAYG?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 52 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
You know the differences MI5 !

I pay £1 Web Daily if I use up my data allowance if I continue to use o2's internet connection ,unless I add a bolt on ,or just use wifi.

At least a Contract Customer data stops and no charge of Web Daily £1 is levied. Something we've had a few posts from unsuspecting customers who don't know what the £1 is for which is again from failure to check out the T&C. Many answers to those customers from us ALL here is it's in the T&C and it's not 02 at fault but you as the user of the phone.

The point is I checked those T&C before joining so knew what to expect.
Message 53 of 55

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147251 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28301 Solutions
That's what I meant.
You said you checked your T&C's but yours are different to a contract customers which are not clear in this matter as the give a choice of 4 or 5 options that can be applied.
Additionally, O2 are still advocating a slowing of data (My O2 app) when we all now know it stops completely.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 54 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
App was updated over the past few days on Android, its version 5.1 now and clearly states that were all screwed once we hit our data limit unless we pay more money..... Unlike most other networks that just slow your connection.
This pooled with the loss of the BT infinity deal (losing 4 milloin WiFI hotspots) just places 02 at the bottom of the pile for me.
one thing is for sure, when i switch provider i will really research on the T&C's for data usage before i do.
Not gonna get caught out like this again.
Message 55 of 55