cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to top up with no handset?? This is driving me crazy O2...

thealbs
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had an extremely frustrating time trying to *give* money to 02.

Situation is as follows:

• PAYG SIM installed in new electric gate mechanism (i.e. I don't have physical access to it)
  • The SIM is a large size SIM and my mobiles all take Micro SIMs (so, even if I could get the Sim out, I have no handset that accepts it)
  • The Sim came preloaded with £10 and is reducing rapidly
  • I have tried to register the Sim in 'My O2' so I can organise auto top-up but it involves me responding to a text message on the Sim - not possible for the reasons stated above
  • I have tried twice to explain this via Online Chat but it is clearly not included in any of the scripts and I have lost patience on both occasions. I am trying to PAY MONEY for heaven's sake!
  • I have tried to pay via https://myo2payg.o2.co.uk/webtopup/details?journey=guest#/ but the page errors saying that there is a problem with my bank. This is despite me trying three different cards from two different banks ... all of which work find everywhere else. O2 appear to be blaming the banks for their own system issues? Surely not..
  • I have tried the automated telephone system and, after spending several minutes entering all of the personal details... it just says "there has been an error" and hangs up on me

So, question ... how do you top up a PAYG SIM when it is not physically accessible to you?? 

I have never had so many issues tyring to give money away before!

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help here. 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

thealbs
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Haha - after two days of Online Chat frustrations, I am most definitely thinking of another supplier !

Have just left a message for the gate installer to come back and swap the SIMs over. I'll make sure I register the SIM when I buy it in the (Vodafone) shop. Thanks for the prompt help everyone.

I'm still totally baffled as to how O2 can't (once they have validated my identity - which they have done several times now), not link the SIM to My O2 accout and let me give them some money. Hey ho...

Message 11 of 22

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Just make sure that Voda have good coverage where you are else it might cause another issue!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 12 of 22

thealbs
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Indeed - its fine !

Message 13 of 22

thealbs
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Quick update for anyone else who faces the same catch-22 in future...

I just went to a local ATM on the off-chance of being able to top-up there and it worked first time. This was using the same payment card that was being rejected by O2's online and phone-based automated systems, and has been accepted at numerous(far too many in fact) other places in the run up to Christmas.

No need for a top-up card, inbound SMS message to be re-entered or other such shenanigans. 

Strange eh?

Message 14 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143441 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
That counts as a voucher for first top up, as I said previously.
Your card would now work online but I suspect you would still need to register for your MyO2 to do that, which would require a text for verification purposes, so your best bet would be to just top up every 6 months or so at an ATM as you'll not be able to find your credit balance.
Which tariff is it on, out of interest?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 22

thealbs
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not a clue which tarriff it's on ! I'm assuming basic PAYG but not sure how I can tell without having it registered.

I can however find credit balance and set alerts for low credit via SMS interface into the gate management system, so think I'm covered now.

Message 16 of 22

MI5
  • 143441 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I ask because if it's a big bundle tariff, you'll need to top up every month. You need the classic PAYG tariff which customer services will be able to check / change for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 22

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Hindsight is wonderful and an option would have been to get the gate installer to register the sim in the first place as you intend to do with your new network but of course you weren't to know that. However I would have expected your engineer or the manufacturer to know that all sims have to be registered by receipt of a text message no matter the network.

Another option after the initial top up by voucher (as far as I'm aware only O2 have this stupid glaringly obvious system error!) would be to call O2 for the balance every month but there again, I suspect the sim fitted would be a big bundle sim which would require a £10 top up every month.

Personally, in your situation, I would be straight on the phone to the gate installer, get a date for a sim change and take a trip into town to get a sim registered for any network, making sure of course that it is a suitable sim where you keep the credit. The sim will of course remain active (by that I mean it will be in continual use) and so negate the need to make a chargeable call/text every 6 months.

Let's hope you can get this done before Christmas, just awful when you have a new toy and can't use it.....rainbow

Message 18 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Slightly off topic but this is regarding PAYG and top up

We are constantly told the first top up does NOT have to be a voucher.

Even when I edited the guidelines, I checked again and the answer was NO...you can top up via any method

Just shows how much CS know!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 22

MI5
  • 143441 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We all know we know more than they do wink

Currently using:
Message 20 of 22