Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often do you need to Top-up?

nad5raf
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

How often do you need to top-up to keep your number active?

I am travelling for 3-6 months and not sure what the minimum top-up amount and minimum time?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@nad5raf 

You need to make a chargeable call or text at least once every 6 months and top up every 999  days.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @nad5raf , let us know if you have any additional questions in mind before your travels! I hope everything goes well. What country are you travelling to? slight_smile

Message 3 of 13

AndyT
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@nad5raf 

"You need to make a chargeable call or text at least once every 6 months and top up every 999  days."

That was the old Terms and Conditions when I moved over to Classic. Now the webpage for my account says that O2 will take all my credit and my number and cancel my sim if I don't make a topup or buy some bolt on bundle at least once every six months.  Quite different from the old usage and 999days.

Also how are you ment to find out when these six months are up ??  Don't mention apps to me as like thousands of others I don't have an app available for my old "bar" phone.  I login to my O2 account on the webpage and it tells me nothing about latest top ups or bolton purchases.

Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@AndyT 

Nothing has changed except the wording on the website.

The classic SIM hasn't worked in o2's favour so has now been withdrawn for new customers. The 6 month top-up rule was to try and generate more revenue which obviously failed. 

Members on here have classic sims that only get topped up once a year and are still working fine.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 13

jeanlyon
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I just confirmed with O2 that I only have to make a chargeable call once every 6 months. I do not have to top up. Happy with that.
Message 6 of 13

jeanlyon
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Can someone tell me where on the App you can see when you last topped up?
Message 7 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jeanlyon wrote:
Can someone tell me where on the App you can see when you last topped up?

You can't @jeanlyon is the short answer to that. If you top up by bank card you can check your statement. Other than that you could call 4445.

To get a full statement of all activity, you would need to request a SAR (Subject Access Request) form from O2. It will cost you £10.

It's pretty stupid in my opinion. I think EE shows top ups, but not O2.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 13

jeanlyon
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks, I didn't think it was me when the O2 person told me I could find it on the App! Hope she's correct about not having to top up every 6 months. Mind you I am well over 6 months now and all seems to be OK. I probably make 2-3 calls per month, use the phone mostly for other things.
Message 9 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jeanlyon 

You have to make a chargeable call /text every 6 months and top up every 999 days to keep your sim active.

Thing is, O2 want everyone off the Classic PAYG and on to a Big Bundle. So they will tell you anything.

Just remember, if you ever decide to change your Classic tariff, you won't be allowed to go back to it.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 13