Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic pay as you go

Angevin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Am I right that the terms for Classic PAYG Tariff have changed meaning that even if you make one call in a 6 month period your number will be disconnected unless you top up or have a bolt on? In effect you are being forced to have a bolt on for a months duration as a minimum or pay £10 to top up in order to keep your number?

Message 1 of 24
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144176 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Angevin 

The website does state that but the actual requirement is still a call or text at least once every 6 months and a top up every 999 days.

As long as the sim is seen to be in use, it won't be disconnected.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
  • 144176 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Angevin 

The website does state that but the actual requirement is still a call or text at least once every 6 months and a top up every 999 days.

As long as the sim is seen to be in use, it won't be disconnected.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 24

Angevin
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks MI5 for your reply which is appreciated as I only use the PAYG phone occasionally and which is kept in the car for emergencies.

Message 3 of 24

MI5
  • 144176 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Just text youself if you don't have any other need to text @Angevin 

Currently using:
Message 4 of 24

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Some customers have reported that customer serice have told them a call is needed after each 3 month period

As far as we know that is incorrect and the active period is 6 months

Message 5 of 24

KeithR
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As I've seen conflicting views on this question, I thought I would write an actual letter to O2 in the hope of getting a definitive answer. The reply from the O2 Correspondence Team (dated 19/09/20) says "As your usage is very limited, I would request you to please make a short chargeable call and top up at least once in 6 months to keep the sim active".

It being 5 months since my last topup and at the risk of losing my mobile number, I may just offer myself up as a sacrificial test case!

Message 6 of 24

MI5
  • 144176 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Yes, I'm sure they would love you to top up every 6 months whether needed or not wink

Currently using:
Message 7 of 24

KeithR
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So, having too much time on my hands, I rang O2 Customer Service for another definitive view. I was told I had to make a call every month and topup every 6 months. So, I questioned this and, after the lady went away for 2-3 minutes to check, she then said there was no need to top up every 6 months, but maintained that I have to call/text every 'couple of months'.

I think I trust you, MI5, more on this!

Message 8 of 24

MI5
  • 144176 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

It's from my own experience @KeithR 

and also my experience with customer service wink

Currently using:
Message 9 of 24

littlelinn
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Angevin I use my PAYG phone exactly like you and was cut off a couple of weeks ago. I had used text 4 times in the 6 month period because I was lead to believe by customer service that they counted. When I rang  them yesterday I was told text /messages do not count as they are not registered as a chargeable action. Because I had been given false info he kindy reinstated me. He did not say anything about topping up. If they dont know the rules how are we to know?

Message 10 of 24