Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic PAYG SIM card

GG2023
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is the payg SIM card which shows 7gb for £10 the same as a classic payg? I’m looking for one that I do not need to top up every month to keep number live. Top ups will be done randomly when required.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149107 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28466 Solutions

@GG2023 

Yes you can do that but you can only use data over wifi.

Phone will still receive calls and texts but you won't be able to make any.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 149107 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28466 Solutions

@GG2023 

No it isn't.

You would need to top up every month.

Look at giffgaff or 1pMobile for the old style PAYG tariffs.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 6

GG2023
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for coming back to me. Just so I am clear, on the new payg SIM cards I would have to top up every month to keep my number and credit? And the classic ones I could top up to activate it and wouldn’t lose my credit and number for a few months if unused  (I would be using on wifi predominantly)

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 149107 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28466 Solutions

That's correct @GG2023 

With O2 a top up is required at least once every 6 months, but unless you top up every month, you won't get any data, call or text allowances.

Message 4 of 6

GG2023
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much! So on O2 I could just use wifi for other 5 months and then top up?

I’ve ordered Giffgaff as well now. At least I could save the credit over the next few months for giffgaff.

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 149107 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28466 Solutions

@GG2023 

Yes you can do that but you can only use data over wifi.

Phone will still receive calls and texts but you won't be able to make any.

Message 6 of 6