Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS Texts via Wi-Fi Calling

DuncanKent
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My daughter is looking for a new phone but we're in a really poor signal area (for all providers) and don't receive texts. However, on my EE contract the wi-fi calling works for texts as well phone calls, so I can send and receive them with no problem. That wasn't the case on O2, which was the main reason I changed networks - in this age of 2FA you can't really get by without receiving texts.

So, just checking: this still isn't possible on O2, is it? I've seen something (here) that said they were intending to start rolling it out by the end of 2021, but nothing to say that actually have done so.

Thanks in advance...

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

There is currently testing going on with the S20 range

No news as to when they will roll this out on other phones yet

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

There is currently testing going on with the S20 range

No news as to when they will roll this out on other phones yet

Message 2 of 6

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@DuncanKent 

You can keep checking the compatibility list here https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling to see if/when other handsets are added.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

DuncanKent
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Excellent - thanks, both of you. It's strange to see from that list that this is available on the S20 but not the S21; I'd have thought they'd start with the newer handsets first. Hopefully that'll change soon, although it may be too late for us.

It still seems strange that O2 are making such heavy weather of this when it's fully and easily available on the other networks, but at least they've finally started.

Message 4 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10114 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

I think its to load test the systems, and make sure everything works as it should do, and a lot of enterprise customers have the S20 series, i think we have over 200 of the things.. 

I have heard horror stories from some PreSales guys in some of the networks about rolling out SMSoWiFi and its very flaky in a lot of cases. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 6

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

The annoying and incomprehensive issue for me is that O2 have the technology and systems to implement this across their network

Think back to TuGo and O2Ask whereby these were two apps that allowed all customers to send texts over wifi

Both apps discontinued after O2 decided they were losing revenue

Message 6 of 6