Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS support

Mr-Elly-Font
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

With more and more providers starting to roll out RCS across the world. I'm just wondering if O2 have announced if they will be rolin it out across the uk any time soon.

Message 1 of 86
85 REPLIES 85

Mr-Elly-Font
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Looks like Samsung are now working with Google to add RCS to their phones. Just hope now samsung are on it there might be a bigger push from them on o2 to add it in as guessing their phones are one of the biggest sellers for o2

Message 71 of 86

iar1980
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Good Point

As mentioned earlier in the year i also have a vodafone sim and me and my wife message each other via chat message (RCS) all the time, including sending photos, screenshots etc. I have a Pixel 2 XL and my wife has a Samsung Galaxy S8.

Vodafone is the only UK network to support and provide this service at the moment, but it is important other networks get onboard as well.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/12/google-samsung-working-together-make-sure-rcs-platforms-get...

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Message 72 of 86

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@DavidAR wrote:

Perhaps Alphabet aka Google could use some of the money they saved through tax avoidance to develop a similar solution, 

Yes, because Apple UK are based in Ireland for the lovely green grass aren't they...

Message 73 of 86

Matt0801
Level 3: Thinker
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Now that all the UK networks are offering the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL, I wonder if Google will try and push those that don't support RCS to adopt it. As mentioned above, Samsung are now working with Google on full cross-app compatibility so it might just gain some momentum now.
Google Pixel 3 XL, Android Q beta 4
Message 74 of 86

chrisv
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's now a year since GSMA announced that "América Movil and Telefónica plan to launch RCS Messaging in Germany, Spain, Austria and Central and Eastern Europe as well as the United Kingdom." (www.gsma.com/futurenetworks/digest/rcs_in_latin_america).

At the RCS Business Messaging Awareness Lab in London last month, "O2 and Orange expressed their desire for an imminent rollout of RCS, potentially as early as next year." (www.gsma.com/futurenetworks/digest/industry-experts-gather-in-london-to-strategise-deployment-of-rcs).

Could we have some word from Telefónica / O2 on what their plans are for RCS?

Message 75 of 86

Sean1
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I wonder if we need to provide someone at o2 with a dictionary so they can lookup the definition of "imminent"?
Message 76 of 86

Kuribo
  • 55 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Could we maybe get an update on this @Chris_K ? Samsung's stock messaging app supports it and Google's Messages has added a "Chat Features" section in settings to enable it but currently selecting that says it's not supported on the network. Be great if we could get this sooner rather than later.

Message 77 of 86

iar1980
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Good News Finally

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/17/18681573/google-rcs-chat-android-texting-carriers-imessage-encryp...

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Message 78 of 86

CliveC
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As of Yesterday evening, RCS was switched on by google on my Pixel 3a with my o2 sim card in. Don't know of anyone else being enabled to test it with yet though.

Message 79 of 86

Matt0801
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Do you know anyone on the Vodafone network?  Alternatively, if you want me to test it with you, send me your number via PM and I'll test it as I've been using RCS for the last 15 months now.

Google Pixel 3 XL, Android Q beta 4
Message 80 of 86