Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2Home Update

Daddydoink
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I've just been told that an email or letter is due to be with people next week or week after, explaining about refunds and what to do with equipment.

Best regards,

Windows 10|SurfaceBook2-512|Lego|Wheelchair Reviews
Sony Xperia ZX Premium (because I loved the Try The Tech phone so much)
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @gmarkj I feel very sorry for people like yourself who have invested in O2 Home in all good faith ... hope you can salvage a goodly part of the system to go forward with other tech which can connect to that which you have 

Message 11 of 41

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Just realised that I didn't tag anyone to check!
@Martin-O2 @Marjo can you ask if there is any reason why equipment will not work with a different hub and if not if there is anything that can be done to make it work?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 12 of 41

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

So remin me how long O2 Home has been in operation? Just under two years I think. Every venture they undertake lasts around that time but they start good schemes and then find reasons to discontinue them. I'm talking about O2 Money, World Chat (incidentally I'm still waiting for my refund) and worse still in the case of O2 Home it is costing their customers money and looking for compatible components. Whatever happened to a company actually taking care of their customers? 

Message 13 of 41

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
It would have been 2 years in April.
I think that the smart home concept fits quite well with o2's main industry, and the potential for growth/expansion is massive.
The two things that, in my opinion, have changed is that more and more people are building their own smart homes instead of buying a package and also that o2 seem to be shrinking instead of expanding as mentioned above.
The most frustrating thing in my view (behind the closure in the first place) is that o2 are/have locked down most of the kit making it obsolete - see link below:
https://home.o2.co.uk/en-GB/o2-smart-home-is-closing
This means that unless by some miracle it all works with a new self funded hub most of the installed items will no longer work - so they will need removing and either replacing or repairing what was done during installation.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 14 of 41

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Just realised that I didn't tag anyone to check!
@Martin-O2 @Marjo can you ask if there is any reason why equipment will not work with a different hub and if not if there is anything that can be done to make it work?

Good morning @gmarkj! I've forwarded your question, thanks for the tag. slight_smile

Message 15 of 41

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@jonsie fully agree, but at least in the case of O2 home they are fully refunding all customers (including for any additional equipment they have bought) so there is no financial loss to the customer (outside of redecorating costs when taking the kit down)
Message 16 of 41

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Any news on my question @Marjo?
Need to start moving on replacing the system given there is now less than 4 weeks left...

Edited to add: Has anyone looked at replacing their service with something else, and any feedback on it?

Message 17 of 41

Daddydoink
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I'm toying with moving to Alexa or Hive... mostly for the smart plugs, if I am honest. slight_smile
Windows 10|SurfaceBook2-512|Lego|Wheelchair Reviews
Sony Xperia ZX Premium (because I loved the Try The Tech phone so much)
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 18 of 41

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I was thinking about buying a Samsung Smart Hub or a Wink Hub 2 as both say they use the same technology as the current equipment so they could replace the o2 Hub.
Any update @Marjo?

Message 19 of 41

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

We've forwarded your comments/questions but haven't had an update yet I'm afraid @gmarkj 😞 Hopefully soon, will post asap when I get something.

Message 20 of 41