cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 recycle

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have (had) a Blackberry Bold that I had as an upgrade but never really used at a push two months use, as you can imagine it was in immaculate condition. I took it to my local O2 store to recycle thinking it was all assessed and paid in store, which I now know it isn't, it gets sent away to O2 recycle.  I discussed with the store assistant that I was a bit worried that once they have your phone they start to knock money off. She said that they would find it hard to find a scratch on it and the only problem she could see would be if it didn't make calls etc (which it did). So I let it go.

Text message from o2 recycle telling me that 75% is getting knocked off my phone. I email for a reason but no reply, so phone. The problem is screen damage although she did say this may be screen burn and not a scratch. I said it was in perfect condition when it left me and was told basically that it wasn't an O2 recycle problem and contact the Royal mail, packed by the shop I said, still not our problem said the operator but you could try the shop first.

So at the end of the day I am going to have a damaged phone returned to me. As I originally thought it was an in store job I did not take photos of the phone before I went . I will pursue a claim but lack of proof of condition before it left me makes it highly unlikely any money will come my way.

So What is good practice before sending your phone to recycle?

Fully charged.

Take a video of phone working and making calls.

Be honest with yourself about damage.

I would still take to O2 shop as packaging would be out of your hands.

Read terms a conditions.

Anything anyone would like to add?

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

O2 Recycle is run for charity purposes not for profit, so prices paid are never going to be that high, if you want a good price sell it privately.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am aware of the better price for private. Also the charity reason was a small part of why I went with O2 recycle.

But private or through a recycle company you can still send off something perfect and get a broken phone back.

Although I did want to have a bit of a moan and see where I stood I also wanted to see what people do to protect themselves when selling.
Message 3 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I took an Iphone into store for an upgrade they gave me the money there and then guess it must of changed now I find Mazuma mobile good

Message 4 of 42

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Got to agree its a shame it would be nice to have some form of checklist the instore employees could do to give you a rough idea where you stand on reductions due to damages. If happily pay extra for some kind of insurance against postage.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for charity but I can imagine with the amount of "faulty" handsets they pay sod all for they probally make some money out of it.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 5 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just thought I would update.

Was Friday the 8th of feb that I asked for my phone to be returned and details of what exactly was the problem with the mobile, I have neither. So phoned today and asked was told that I had to at least wait seven working days, I told her that we were on to eight, so she has emailed the warehouse. She also implied that the chances of getting anything other than an screen damage as a reason were slim and no updates about the phone were on her computer.
Message 6 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Liquid wrote:
Got to agree its a shame it would be nice to have some form of checklist the instore employees could do to give you a rough idea where you stand on reductions due to damages. If happily pay extra for some kind of insurance against postage.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for charity but I can imagine with the amount of "faulty" handsets they pay sod all for they probally make some money out of it.

It's run completely not for profit.  Over £40 million in revenue has gone to charities since they started.

Message 7 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
I dont want to put words into Liquids mouth (and i am sure he will correct me if i am wrong) By they i think he ment O2 recycle and they still have to make money even if it is going to charity or i am pretty sure they wouldnt be in a job. Intresting fact that they have made £40 million in revenue possibly backs up Liquids statement

"Don't get me wrong I'm all for charity but I can imagine with the amount of "faulty" handsets they pay sod all for they probally make some money out of it."
Message 8 of 42

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Completely correct. I didn't word it very well I apologise.

Obviously the less paid out to a customer the higher amount is possible to pay to the chosen charity.

For example (figures pulled from where the sun don't shine)

A iPhone 4 in mint condition O2 would buy for £230 they give the charity whatever money they make from the handset.

However if a mint iPhone is deemed "faulty" they pay much less for the phone say £50 and still make the same amount of profit.

Charity and O2 win, the customer losses money!

However its not directly controlled by O2 is it?

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 9 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure if its owned by o2 but its run from an office in scotland so it may be outsourced like o2's insurance is.

Basically out of the funds generated by recycling, staff are paid and what's left over goes to charities.

I imagine that o2 recycle pay less and sell the phones which generates the "profit" which is then passed to charities, although I'm not really sure how it wall works.

I do beleive O2 when they say they don't make a penny from it.
Message 10 of 42