cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Switch Up - Is requesting an iPhone 14 Pro to be ordered in-store still possible?

Aidanylil
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Looking for advice around O2 Switch Up and out-of-stock phone models after a bit of a headache in-store today. Basically got mugged and phone was stolen a couple of weeks ago - insurance provider sent a replacement, same make and model (iPhone 14 Pro), but Black instead of Deep Purple. Call me shallow but I care about having the colour of the phone that I originally wanted... so was gonna use Switch Up to trade it in for a Deep Purple one.

I know Switch UP online can be a fuss so went in store, but they didn't have the Deep Purple in stock. Guy said they rarely have 'older' models in stock and aren't likely to have it unless you buy it online via click & collect. I asked if they could pre-order it so I could come back to complete the Switch Up process, or maybe do the phone-checks today/hand it in and get the new one delivered to me instead. He said he could try the delivery option but as it's Thursday today it would likely leave me longer than the weekend without a phone. He then said they "can't request orders for an 'old' model phone to arrive in-store."...

Ignoring the fact he kept calling a less than 2 year old iPhone old (lol) I've now left and read threads to hear that O2 offer a pre-order option for new, unreleased devices to get via Switch Up, and for a refundable £50 deposit. My question is - would this not also be possible for an iPhone 14 Pro just because it's older, and I pay a deposit? If not, what would you recommend in this situation (other than just keeping the replacement lol, I pay for this Switch Up business so it'd be great to use it). 

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11260 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

@Aidanylil 

To be fair it will soon be 3 generations old, and in Apple Terms 2 years is old...

The problem you are going to have is that the iPhone 14 Pro is no longer sold by Apple and may no longer be  available in the Channel (this is how phones are distibuted) and o2 dont mix the stock, so you might not be able to get one, hence they dont want to take a deposit..

Your other problem that you may encounter is the phone doesnt match what was originally purchased, so hope you get a good employee, and I would take along proof of what the insurance company did, just to negate any problems.. 

As @MI5 says try different stores.. and you may need to go for either a smaller or larger capacity phone...

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148695 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@Aidanylil 

I'd try a different store.

Maybe ring some local ones to you first to see if they have what you want in stock.

Assume you reported the previous loss to O2 also?

Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 5

Aidanylil
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Aidanylil 

I'd try a different store.

Maybe ring some local ones to you first to see if they have what you want in stock.

Thanks for the speedy reply! He tried to search it up on his computer in-store when I asked about this, and he said no others nearby had it in stock. They all said 'collect tomorrow' though, but I guess that just means they need it ordered in first?

Assume you reported the previous loss to O2 also?

Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it 

Yes -another reason I wanted to Switch Up is so I'd have a new phone that was still IMEI-registered and ordered through O2, with proof of purchase etc. Since getting my replacement (my insurance is third-party) I've had no luck getting O2 to update my account with the new IMEI. I've been advised if I ever needed to request proof of usage for a claim in future it would be fine as O2 can see the IMEI of the device the sim is in. But when they generated a proof of usage document to test that out it still showed my old, stolen phone's IMEI with last usage date being 2 weeks ago. Concerns me incase I ever need to claim insurance again in future.

Message 3 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11260 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

@Aidanylil 

To be fair it will soon be 3 generations old, and in Apple Terms 2 years is old...

The problem you are going to have is that the iPhone 14 Pro is no longer sold by Apple and may no longer be  available in the Channel (this is how phones are distibuted) and o2 dont mix the stock, so you might not be able to get one, hence they dont want to take a deposit..

Your other problem that you may encounter is the phone doesnt match what was originally purchased, so hope you get a good employee, and I would take along proof of what the insurance company did, just to negate any problems.. 

As @MI5 says try different stores.. and you may need to go for either a smaller or larger capacity phone...

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 4 of 5

Aidanylil
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

@Aidanylil 

Yes, very conscious of the Apple-induced time dilation! Understand that's why but just irks me as seems if I were ordering it brand new, no switch up, I'd get it just fine. Thanks for the suggestion RE smaller/larger capacities, may be my only option other than waiting on the 16 if all else fails!

@madasaf1sh wrote:

I did read up to make sure and thankfully Switch Up T&Cs specify it's ok for the device not to match exactly, including IMEI if it's insurance-replaced (even if it's third-party which I checked with staff). Have asked my insurance to send me proof of replacement too just incase though, thank you again.

Message 5 of 5