cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Recycle Is A SCAM!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to send a warning to anyone thinking of using O2 Recycle.

My situation was I saw the O2 Recycle when thinking of upgrading and when I honestly filled out the recylce valuation, it convinced me to get a new iPhone 7. Anyway, they offered me £214 for my iPhone 6 which was in immaculate condition, with no damage at all. Anyway, I send it off to them and then turn around and say we are not offering £214 anymore, its £40 take it or leave it. They claimed there was damage to the screen, which there isnt. I requested the phone sent back to me and eventually, it turned up. There is no damage to the phone at all. They also decided to throw away the original box I sent with it, so no I cant even sell it.

I am considering cancelling my contract with them as this service is a complete and utter scam.

Message 1 of 138
137 REPLIES 137

Googlymoogly
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I was quoted £95 for a Galaxy S7. It's in perfect condition (had a tough case and screen protector since day one).

Called O2 refresh today and was told that they tested it and could only offer me. £19 for it... What a joke!

After I gave off a bit they backtracked and said they could give me £40 for it... Really! So first it's £19 now £40....

They said that the phone has an issue where some of the icons don't look clear. I asked them to explain this as it looked perfect to me before I sent it in.

The advisor told me that they put it under a "light machine" and the icons looked faded, but that it's not something I would notice... If it's not something you would notice until under a *bleep* machine, then surely it's good enough for a human to use...

Anyway, I've asked them to return the phone immediately as it's worth more to me as a backup handset than what they are offering.

I had read reviews and comments about O2 recycle with people having similar experiences but thought I would take a chance anyway. I regret this now as I'm expecting they will send me a damaged phone back.

I actually took a video of the handset in working order before I sent it in, so I have some evidence if I decide to take it further, but I'm seriously considering raising a case with trading standards as it seems they are a law unto themselves.

I'm furious about the whole thing.

If you decide to use this service, be aware you are taking a huge gamble...
Message 91 of 138

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Googlymoogly

Those of us who have been forum members for a long time are well aware of this sort of scam from O2 Recycle.

When you get the phone back take it to CEX https://uk.webuy.com/  or Mazuma Mobile https://www.mazumamobile.com/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 92 of 138

Googlymoogly
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks @Cleoriff

It does seem like a bit of a scam to me too.

I hope it comes back in the same condition it was in when I sent it.

Cheers
Message 93 of 138

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143417 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Check the IMEI number is the same too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 94 of 138

Googlymoogly
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

***UPDATE***

So, I called on Wednesday to find out when my phone would be sent back and at first the advisor told me it was not going to be sent back because it was past the time scale. As you would imagine, I exploded, furious that they were not going to give me my phone back after a day earlier telling me they would only give me £19 for it...

I said I would be contacting Trading Standards and OFCOM about it!

I asked to speak to a manager, was put on hold and then the same advisor came back on and apologised and said there had been a mistake and that they were going to give me the full value I was originally quoted. 

I was happy to get the money quoted of course but I'm not happy with the way this whole thing was handled. Something stinks!

Also unknown to me, the advisor I had spoken to the day before had tried to contact me and left a voicemail explaining (and this is a good one, strap yourselves in) that my handset had been selected for retesting and that after the second test they had decided that it was fine OR the technician had been too harsh in the assessment and that I would be given the full quoted value. This change of heart of course had nothing to do with me suggesting Trading Standards might be interested in how they operate.

Anyway, I accepted this and the money has been paid into my account, but this sounds really dodgy to me and I think I should probably contact Trading Standards anyway?

Thoughts?

Message 95 of 138

Anonymous
Not applicable
I suspect that as soon as Trading Standards were mentioned then they changed their idea
Message 96 of 138

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Definitely contact Trading Standards because this has been going on far too long now. I suspect that people working there are giving ridiculous assessments and they are then able to 'buy' the phone from O2 Recycle as a perk of working there  Someone is obviously making big money from this and I'm guessing it involves one or more employees  

Just a disclaimer to state that this is entirely my own opinion and I have no proof to prove or disprove this. Members can form their own opinions...  

Message 97 of 138

Slice
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well years on, and it seems the same issues continue?  I wish I had seen this thread before accepting the offer.

Was offered £34 quid (!) for a beautiful condition, hardly used  Samsung Galaxy S8.  Looks pretty much as new.

Should be £170 + £100 (pre order bonus for S10).

I don't use the phone that much my screen is usually off, so I guess Samsung phone screens don't last 2 years with gentle use?

I had to ring up as I was shocked at the offer.  Anyone using the phone would know it's worth vastly more than 34 quid.

They said it has screen burn, but you can only see it when the screen is a white screen apparently? 

I have never seen any issue and even if that is true, it would not be seen in normal use.

In the O2 recycle form they indicate that minoir wear and tear is acceptable and won't affect the offer.

No way.

So they bumped the offer slightly but even with the £100 bonus added, the total they offered me slightly less than CEX would give me.  Mmmm something is fishy,  has anyone gone to Offcom?

Message 98 of 138

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Slice 

There are so many threads regarding complaints about O2 recycle. I have been a member of this forum for 6 years and the only thing changed has been the reason for the low offer. We had so called water damage for years, now EVERY phone people complain about has apparently got screen burn!!

I wouldn't use O2 Recycle if you paid me. I would take my phone to Mazuma Mobile, CEX or even sell it on Amazon or Ebay.

It seems they have no conscience about robbing O2 customers. They should be stopped. O2 should use someone else.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 99 of 138

Slice
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, I have learned my lesson.  Never again.  I think it's worth a group of us contacting O2 and getting them to sort it out - or at least Ofcom route.

Message 100 of 138