cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Recycle Is A SCAM!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to send a warning to anyone thinking of using O2 Recycle.

My situation was I saw the O2 Recycle when thinking of upgrading and when I honestly filled out the recylce valuation, it convinced me to get a new iPhone 7. Anyway, they offered me £214 for my iPhone 6 which was in immaculate condition, with no damage at all. Anyway, I send it off to them and then turn around and say we are not offering £214 anymore, its £40 take it or leave it. They claimed there was damage to the screen, which there isnt. I requested the phone sent back to me and eventually, it turned up. There is no damage to the phone at all. They also decided to throw away the original box I sent with it, so no I cant even sell it.

I am considering cancelling my contract with them as this service is a complete and utter scam.

Message 1 of 138
137 REPLIES 137

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

We hear this so often from O2 Recycle but to be fair, some of these delivery drivers do toss parcels around. But if you can claim off Royal Mail then that might be the easiest option in the end.

Message 71 of 138

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
My own experience with O2 recycle...
1st, the pack they send out, is so small, it wouldn't fit any modern phone, maybe an iPhone 4 or 5, but no way an S9+ or similar. It comprises of nothing more than a single ply cardboard DIY tube, and a plastic bag to put said tube in.
I hope no one sending in anything other that broken phones uses this pack, it's truly unfit for purpose.
Secondly, they cause added worry to customers, by saying they haven't received the phone when royal mail say they have, you ring them and they just outright lie, using such terms as "royal mail still have it" or "that just means it's been received by the sorting centre". When in reality if they just actually said the truth "we have it but it's still not been scanned in" it would cause much less worry.
I can't comment on pricing except for saying they gave me EXACTLY what was quoted on site, good job as it was in immaculate condition so I expected that amount, experience on here told me I should get lots of photos before sending. Including a couple in the box helps too.
Notes:
NEVER use their pre paid label, it only covers you for £100 of loss, anything above that, special delivery it.
If using an offer of bonus amount of you buy a certain device, you can only get that bonus amount if you do the following
1, wait 24hrs after buying the new device.
2, do the recycle online only
3, enter your new device order number into the discount code section of the recycle order form.
Message 72 of 138

santadio
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Better still - I was told they'd give me a paltry £30 for my iPhone SE which had no scratches or damage whatoever, but like you, when I sent it in I was told the screen was damaged and I'd only receive £15 for it. A quick scan on ebay revealed I could make six times this by selling it privately so I asked for the phone to be sent back. Lo and behold this morning, someone from O2 called me to tell me there was a 'system error' and the phone couldn't be sent back, but I would receive the £30 as originally promised! Needless to say, they couldn't tell me what this system error was, just that I couldn't have my phone back, full stop.

I don't believe it for a second - I called their bluff and now they are backed into a corner but they expect me to be happy with it because I've got what was originally promised to me. I'm staggered that a large company like O2 can tell barefaced lies to their customers like this... Will definitely be taking my business elsewhere when I'm out of this latest contract.

Message 73 of 138

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Demand the phone back. They are legally bound to. Their Christmas party funds are building up nicely

Message 74 of 138

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Must admit I was nearly tempted to go this recycle route, so glad I didn't after reading this and using flee bay instead.

Message 75 of 138

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’ve only had one bad experience with O2 Recycle. I tend to do it in store rather than send the phone away
Message 76 of 138

BigAl69
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

They’ve tried it on with me, offered me £360 for my iPad Pro 516 10.5, then told me the screen was pixelated, and offered me £90, had it returned of course; I’m actually writing this post now on said device, absolutely nothing wrong with it. CEX are offering £380, I’m going there instead. 

Message 77 of 138

SD
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Edited - I have created a new forum conversation on this matter.Purley because of the new way in which they are now sending fake damage pictures.

Message 78 of 138

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
You should have never accepted the quote,
Don't negotiate with crooks.
Message 79 of 138

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@SD wrote:

Edited - I have created a new forum conversation on this matter.Purley because of the new way in which they are now sending fake damage pictures.

I have responded to your new post @SD

They are crooks. Simple as.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 80 of 138